history of Vector Research 7000

I have an old Vector research 7000 that I use as a tuner. I have it hooked up to a Musical Fidelity A5, an Opinion cd, and Sonus faber home edition speakers. I found it in the garbage and it pulls in stations better than my Denon DRA 335R. Has anyone ever heard of VR, as it is not listed on many websites and I am wondering if I would get better sound with a used Accuphase or McIntosh or something? I live just above NYC. By the way, I don't know much about this hobby now, but I knew even less when an old neighbor passed away and his daughter gave me his Kenwood KT(forgot the model). I thought it was waaaay too big so I tossed it after a few months. Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone. Alan
128x128pharmacylaw

Showing 2 responses by mapman

I sold vector research receivers briefly about 30 years back aT Tech Hifi in the NY/NJ metro area.

It was decent sounding stuff and somewhat popular for a while as a step up from the Pioneers, Kenwoods and TEchnics receivers of the day for a bit. It had a different looking dark brown front panel aesthetic that was unique but I do not recall ever being particularly taken with anything really unique or better about the sound. Not in the same league as the better Tandberg, Nakamichi, Onkyo, or Yamaha receivers of the day as I recall.

I also do not know how well these were made. You do not see many around in nice condition these days for sure.
I was never able to find anything indoor, even amplified, and I've tried, that worked better than the good old standard FM dipole antenna from Radio Shack.