High-value ICE offerings or Ayre V3, ARC 100.2

I'm torn between the highly-reviewed class D amps and the "classics" from late 90s/early 2000s such as the ARC 100.2 or Ayre V3. I came of audio-age in the late 90s and looking through the Audiogon listings, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

At the $1500-$2000 range, there are just so many options, such as the Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000, which is apparently competitive with amps costing many times its price. But the question is: how do these new high-value amp compare to the better amps from 10 years ago such as the Ayre V3 or ARC 100.2 or even the VT 100 MKII, which you can also pick up new in the $1500 to $2000 range.

My system is currently AR ES-1 for analog, EAD Utradisc 2000 (transport), Benchmark DAC1 Pre for digital, amp is Plinius 8200 integrated, speaker are Revel Ultima Gems and Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII. I've had the 8150/8200 for over 10 years, and I think I'm ready for a change. The 8200 has a warmish signature and I think I want something a tad more dynamic and speedy. I have mini-monitors so it's pretty clear soundstage and imaging are pretty important to me. The Revels are a recent addition, picked up because the Dynaudios sound a little compressed when playing big classical, and I'm thinking I need to step up my amplification.

Musically, I listen to mostly 70s rock, classical (orchestral and chamber) and jazz. The Revels definitely need a sub for classical and that's also on my list.

If you have any other options for suitable amps, I'd love to hear them too.

Thanks!
twinda1

Showing 1 response by dpac996

@Twindal

Very similar hardware!

Had a Bel Canto S300 for a while. Did not like it at all. It would have made a good sub amp, but everything else sounded the same as my Yamaha surround sound receiver. It was driven by higher end Arc tube pre and very good digital, into my dyn s3.4. While I do understand this is the "beginner" class D amp, I did feel like, based on all the favorable reviews it would give me some insight into the character of sound from this topology. Whatever the reason, I did not like it.

I also had a plinius sa102...dissapinted. Too smooth and polite for my tastes, I guess (hey we all hear things differently!)

I have used (and still do) an ARC 100.2 with the same speakers and find this a very hard to beat combo. I had a VT100MKii also with the s3.4s and it was very beautiful sound in the midband, but lethargic and underpowered for these 4 ohm nominal loads. I find the 100.2 MUCH better. I also had a pass x250.5 and while that amp had an increased sense of resolution and could make the speakers play at insane levels, the 100.2 seems to have an even richer more lucid midrange and sparkly highs. Bass control is very very good and belies the modest rating of the amp.

A friend had Bat vk500 and when we used the 100.2 with his rig (he had the same speakers) he sold the bat and was looking for the ARC-- it never came up and he had a thing for mac's and got the 402. that was a very good sound as well.

I remain extremely impressed with the 100.2. I currently have it driven with a bel canto dac 3 direct via XLRs. I feel like i would have to spend upwards of $5K on an amp to substantially improve upon the results i'm getting with the 100.2.

I highly rec the 100.2 with the dyns. A very synergistic match.

Good luck on the amp merry go round!