High-value ICE offerings or Ayre V3, ARC 100.2

I'm torn between the highly-reviewed class D amps and the "classics" from late 90s/early 2000s such as the ARC 100.2 or Ayre V3. I came of audio-age in the late 90s and looking through the Audiogon listings, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

At the $1500-$2000 range, there are just so many options, such as the Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000, which is apparently competitive with amps costing many times its price. But the question is: how do these new high-value amp compare to the better amps from 10 years ago such as the Ayre V3 or ARC 100.2 or even the VT 100 MKII, which you can also pick up new in the $1500 to $2000 range.

My system is currently AR ES-1 for analog, EAD Utradisc 2000 (transport), Benchmark DAC1 Pre for digital, amp is Plinius 8200 integrated, speaker are Revel Ultima Gems and Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII. I've had the 8150/8200 for over 10 years, and I think I'm ready for a change. The 8200 has a warmish signature and I think I want something a tad more dynamic and speedy. I have mini-monitors so it's pretty clear soundstage and imaging are pretty important to me. The Revels are a recent addition, picked up because the Dynaudios sound a little compressed when playing big classical, and I'm thinking I need to step up my amplification.

Musically, I listen to mostly 70s rock, classical (orchestral and chamber) and jazz. The Revels definitely need a sub for classical and that's also on my list.

If you have any other options for suitable amps, I'd love to hear them too.

Thanks!
twinda1

Showing 1 response by bezimienny

Hi. I previously owned an ARC D125 power amp, and still own an ARC SP9MKIII pre - this combination sounded great, albeit the power amp was unreliable. I've heard an ARC VT100MKII, and liked it - not a world away from the D125 - in Australia in the late 90s it was AUS$9000 new - so I passed. Since then, via an excursion to a Jadis integrated, I've purchased two W4S amps - the ST1000 power to run with the ARC pre, and an STI 500 integrated. I've put up a review here re the experience. Needless to add, I'm very pleased with the W4S components - absolute bargains. I do relate to your "candy store" comment, but the W4S amps sound better than my old ARC set up - just as sweet, more detail, absolutely effortless, oomph and clarity in the bass; and better than the Jadis. I have Usher speakers now, but previously had Wilson CUBS, with their low impedence load - the ST1000 was excellent with these.