High value, giant killer speakers?

What speakers have you heard at any price did you find are fairly priced or a great deal and competed with offerings much more expensive (2x, 3x, 4x etc)? 
smodtactical
Another yes to Maggie's 1.7i or 3.7i with a sub very hard to beat in the price range especially if you find a great used pair.
No longer in production but Mirage M1si and M3si are incredible speakers for the money. They come up on the used market occasionally for under $1500 or so (mine were $2300 new). I have a pair of M3si's and after attending two audio shows I can safely say they easily compete with many speakers that cost 5 figures. I just got a pair of Thiel CS 6 speakers and they certainly have their strengths but I would not call them better overall. One downside is that both of these speakers eat amps for breakfast. You need big solid state wattage with the ability to drive difficult loads.

I would also put in a second vote for the Golden Ear Triton Reference but I would go so far as to call it a giant slayer. To my ears in two different occasions the Tritons sounded as good or better than several speakers that cost 5 times as much. Unlike the Mirages or the Thiels these speakers are very easy to drive meaning that you have an infinite selection of amps - both tube and SS.
We're fans of the old Acoustic electrostatic speakers.  The 2MH hybrid predated the Martin Logan Monolith by a couple of years, and at less than a third of the price.  Huge bang for the buck.  2+2's and 1+1s are also great examples.  Panels aren't for everyone, but in this particular area, Acoustat definitely delivered.