High Rez files, is this a joke?

I just purchased a high rez file of Steely Day's Gaucho. I own the album, that I purchased back in 1980 for about $4, the cd of the album and now the high rez file. When I compare all 3 formats, the vinyl album's sound is superior. What's up with this?
benjie

Showing 12 responses by ml8764ag

Well, Vinyl will always sound superior to many. However,

...are you sure your DAC is capable of actually processing and not at high rez...and not down converting to 44.1? You may know this...but (for example) just because you are playing a high res file through ITUNES library interface does not mean it's being processes as one.

What DAC are you running?
Sorry...that was awful...what I meant to write:

..are you sure your DAC is capable of actually processing high rez...and not down converting to 44.1? You may know this...but (for example) just because you are playing a high res file through ITUNES library interface does not mean it's being processed as one.
To Neal's comment:

Yes, Itunes can "play" high res...but if connected to a dac (USB) that cannot support the higher rate, it gets down converted.
me too...problem is we were trying to earnestly help this guy...thought he wanted help...and he only wanted to rant. I do appreciate you kind attitude though. I just get to a point where I can't be kind anymore.
Sounds like you just posted so you could give us your retort...sorry I fell for it.
In fact, your tone makes you come across like a real d-bag. Please tell us more about how great your system is...and how misguided we are to listen to digital sources. Your kind of nonsense including your silly multi-thousand dollar anectdotes are the real joke (and what's wrong with this hobby)...not high-rez files.
Um...ever hear of a backup drive?...my God, you sound like you're from the 1980's. And by the way...There's so much nonsense in your post, I don't even know where to begin. You clearly have little idea what you are talking about.

The only thing I have to say...is what makes you think we are not old school two channel aficionados too! I'm an old guy that grudgingly opened my mind to Computer audio (which by the way can be done in a way to totally avoid MP3s) and have put together an incredible system. You act like you have to educate us about the ways of the elders? GMAFB!

The only people bashing solutions here are you and Benji...are you the same person for god's sake?

Like Levy said...did you even read the thread man?
Petty you sneaky devil.... Folks, here's one of Petty's multi accolades about digital...I Quote:

"What I hear doesn't sound anything like Surround Sound Digital anything. It sounds almost exactly like an Analog Recording. The images are fleshed out in an extreme on an enlarged Soundstage. The ambience and Harmonic content seems to expand and go on forever."

Go search on his id...and see all the digital questions and musings...then read his post (3 up from this)...

Folks we have a troll!
OMG...here's another nugget from Petty:

"Having a Computer built around my specifications. PC will utilize USB 3.0, along with USB 2.0. I wish to utilize PC Hard Drive for Music Storage, and playback via USB to SPDIF,AES/EBU Converter to Digital Input on favorite DAC. "

You can't make this up!

He has no sales...just threads...
This has been fun...the most entertaining part (for me) has been watching good intentioned (but woefully misguided) good samaritans getting their helping hand bit off and P#$%# on!

Vinyl or Digital, Hoping we can at least all agree, Gaucho's a great album... (er....rrright?)