High mass vs Low Mass Turntables - Sound difference?

As I am recently back playing with analog gear after some 15 years away, I thought I would ask the long time experts here about the two major camps of record players -- high vs low mass-loaded-type tables...

For example, an equivalently priced VPI table (say a Classic, Aries or Prime) versus a Rega RP8/10 or equivalent Funk Firm table...  the design philosophies are so different ... one built like a tank, the other like a lightweight sports car...

Just wondering if the folks here have had direct experience with such or similar tables, and what have been your experiences and sense of strengths and weaknesses of these two different types of tables.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49
personally my no. 1 design criteria for selecting a (belt drive) turntable is that the drive system uses the outer rim of the platter as the driven pulley.  i will not purchase a turntable with a sub-platter as the driven pulley.  
there are too many engineering advantages to a motor pulley / platter rim pulley system such as speed stability, resistance to stylus drag, motor life, bearing life and belt life.  
all things being equal if a platter is 3X the diameter of a sub platter (for example), the above attributes are 3X better.   
Apples and Oranges.  The Townshend damping trough is a whole different thing from the bearing at the pivot of the WT tonearms.  I think very highly of the Townshend idea, but it is a bit clumsy in its application. Nevertheless, the principle makes a lot of sense.  You might say it's the only right way to dampen the energy developed at the headshell properly. As to the WT use of silicon damping at the other end of the tonearm, at the pivot, the damping per se may be a fine idea but in the case of the WT, the pivot is not otherwise fixed very tightly in space. It's a golf ball in a trough.  That's my beef.
my no. 1 design criteria for selecting a (belt drive) is actually to select a direct drive -- isn't that odd -- I wish my HK Rabco was direct drive!
 Are use and early 12 inch version of the WT arm and it works very very well. I think the idea being that the silicone is Rigid enough that the fine movements of the stylus are not going to knock it out of place.