High End is Dead?

Browsing used audio sites such as Audiogon and the Marts, high end gear ads are dominated by several dealers. Non-dealer ads are usually people trying to push 15+ year old off-brand junk at 60-70% of MSRP (when they were new). They don't sell anything. You could slash Wilsons, Magicos, etc, 50% off retail and no one will buy them.

No one buys if it costs more than 1k. It's not that they're not interested -- the ads get plenty of views. It's that the asking prices are just way over the ability of buyers to pay. Fact is, if you see a high end piece for sale it's probably by a dealer, often times trying to push it at 15% off retail because its a trade in, but also often they are taking a good chunk off the price 30, 40 sometimes 50% off. They can be famous brands with a million positive reviews. No buyers.

Are we just poor, and that's all there is to it? 
madavid0

The new HEA $$$$ market is fading and has been since the mid 90’s. in the last 5 years the decline has been accelerating. That’s not a bad thing, just reality. Those companies that have dealt with the decline successfully have found a nice following. On the flip side budget HiFi is doing great and getting stronger. Audio itself is heathier than it has ever been and growing faster than it ever has. We simply live in a different place 2018 vs 1993. You can’t expect that the way audio is presented or sold today is going to be the same as back then. At the same time the different camps of the hobby are going to have and will maintain their own special portion of the action, but it won’t make a dent in the mainstream, nor should it. There are those that say "look at the shows" as evidence, but in reality I’m sure mainstream audio sells more in an hour, than all of HEA does in a year. That is probably me even being generous. The engineers from mainstream audio stopped looking at HEA as a reference in the mid 80’s to mid 90’s, and once the mainstream caught up and past up HEA technically that left HEA out of the cutting edge race, again, for the masses. When the CES became the CTA (Consumer Technology Association) HEA all but dropped out of the picture. There was a time when High End Audio was the teacher, but that was brief. Electronic innovations move so fast, it’s like 1 Hi-tech yr = 15 HEA years.

I saw this profoundly with the progress of CDPs. HEA didn’t have a clue how to do CDPs. In fact 5 years ago you could pick up a $29.00 CDP that out performed most of HEA’s competition. We conducted these listening tests ourselves on TuneLand. Any time you see an audio group have to go backward in technology you know that they were not able to move forward. Vinyl and tape aren’t better than digital, HEA just hasn’t conquered digital. Digital doesn’t have the same ingredients as vinyl or tape, but HEA treated digital like it was the same language as analog. So, certain parts of the process went horribly wrong. For example: you can’t throw a big transformer in the same chassis with digital parts (chips and laser), so no wonder these "Low End" players beat the tar out of the audiophile ones. When CDPs came into play some High-enders (including myself) said "don’t do that", but the reviewers and market didn’t care. Evidently they just wanted to move boxes and never took the time to explore the new parts and pieces that makes the reading and conversion function in regards to fields, Ooooppps!

When you make BooBoos like that, that are obvious, and more, you are no longer the leader. Ultimately Hi-tech audio is going to put High End Audio’s lights out. Not with turntables and tapedecks, but pretty much all the rest. And this is why you are seeing so many of the big ticket items popping up for sale all over the place. Honestly it’s a lot like the big laser disc. Once Hi-tech moves in prices and size go down, performance goes up and the laser disc and big tube TV’s become collectors items (hopefully). HEA is going through the exact same thing.

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

^^^+1...I've preached the narrowing gap between HEA & Budget gear for years...The LoDR between so called budget gear & the expensive stuff has become IMO so small as to be laughable sometimes...The Manufacturers that master the marriage of the high tech digital age with old world values(ie:sound/build quality..Dynaudio & Quad for example)in Lifestyle designs will thrive in the near future...
Tell you what I think. You are a troll who instigates fights for your own amusement. You incite and inflame, for what reason??? As I had pointed out in one of your other senseless posts. Find a hobby that will not start fights.... like badminton or something.... If you think high end is dead, there is no reason for you to post anything.
I was told that vinyl is dead, analogue is dead, CD's are dead, the music business is dead, but I think Mr. Townshend is still correct:

Landslide, rocks are falling
Falling down 'round our very heads
We tried but you were yawning
Look again, rock is dead, rock is dead, rock is dead

The place is really jumping to the Hiwatt amps
'Til a 20-inch cymbal fell and cut the lamps
In the blackout they dance right into the aisle
And as the doors fly open even the promoter smiles
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead, they say
Long live rock, long live rock, long live rock