High efficiency speakers for Shindo

I recently bought a Shindo Aurieges pre and think that a total revamp of my system is now in order. After doing some research it seems that the best match for the pre is, surprise, surprise a Shindo tube amp. Since I'm on a budget, the entry level Montille is most realistic, its a flea powered 15 wpc push pull. I'm thinking that this won't do with my Gershman Avant Garde's which are a rather inefficient 87 dB, so I may have to trade em in.

But I do love the Gershmans for their great bass response and silky mids. Can anyone suggest a high eff speakers (say 90+ dB) that would mate well with the Shindos and also give me good bass slam so that I won't regret selling the Gershmans. My basement room measures about 13' x 20' but with a 6' ceiling. I listen to a huge range of music - classical chamber music, jazz, indie rock, electronic, everything from Albeniz to Zappa.

Speakers that I've been considering are Audio Note, Living Voice, Ref 3A. Others have suggested single driver speakers like the Omega which are intriguing, but can they really rock out? I'd like to keep it below $5K used. Any other suggestions or thoughts on what would be a good fit?
mikeyc8

Showing 1 response by 300bdude

I am using an Aurieges/Montille and have had a Monbrison/Cortese in my system also. This pair was better but in the context of common sense I kept the Aurieges/Montille. There is no doubt that it is Shindo. The pair is true to the music and has great PRAT. The Montille also responds to tube rolling. Think Bugle Boy D getters etc.

This may sound like sacrilege but I have a pair of AR25 speakers coming from Tekton Designs. They are an updated clone of the Dynaco A25 and are 91.5 db. Do a search for Tekton Design. Eric is great to work with and he is putting a terminal cup on the rear of the speakers to allow easy access to the cap and resistor for the simple crossover. Tamo Cherry veneered with custom stands $1150 and there is a 30 day in home trial. *I* think they will be a great match with the Shindo in my 21 x 13 x 8 room and will be easy to place/set up. I am using PHY KM30SAG drives in an open baffle, very good sound, but they are too big for my room. I will post after they arrive and settle in.