High Current vs high power

Hi!

Often you hear/read comments that the current matter more than the power (example Nait) and one should look for high current more than high power etc.?

Can anyone explain that or debunk the myth (my limited physics knowledge tells me that power and current are interrelated for the same voltage and impedance)?

Also, which amplifiers (pre power or Integrated) have 'higher current' than their peers at same power ratings? Is there any specification that shows the current capability of the amp which one can read and compare? like power, THD etc.?

Thanks
K
kelpie

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"To the other guys -- please don't take this post as a put-down. This issue has had me bogged down for over a year now. So count me in as a card carrying member of the confused society, but just a little bit less so today thanks to Al and Ralph. Just check my other posts."

I don't see why any of this can be so confusing. If you take the technical info, such as Al and Atmasphere have provided, and suppliment it by listening to different combinations of amps and speakers, it should all fall into place. Picking audio components is mostly subjective. You can't bypass listening and hope to be successful. You can get sound to come out of just about anyting, but for good sound, only you can decide.
"But here's the dilemma. How often can one fairly audition speakers, amps and other gear given the paucity of high end B&M stores? Forget being able to control all the variables, like using the same model amp when comparing speakers. At least in my neck of the woods, forget taking gear home. Doesn't happen."

I agree that you can't control all of the variables. The good news is you don't always have to. I'll use myself as an example. I'm very picky when it comes to high frequencies. If a system can't get hf's right, I can't listen to it. I don't find it too difficult to judge components in this area under less than ideal circumstances, like a dealer. Given the fact that hf's are very directional, room acoustics don't factor too much into the equation, at least for me. As long as there's nothing in the way between myself and the tweeter, I can usually pick out what I need to.

Now look at another area; Bass. That's much more difficult because the room is so important. That doesn't mean a demo is worthless. Trying a certain amp with a certain pair of speakers can, at least, give you some info, but you are still taking a chance without listening to the system in your room.

So, where I'm going with all this is to say that you shouldn't give up on demoing equipment just because you don't have ideal conditions. Pick the areas of sound quality that are most important to you, and focus on those. Sometimes you have to get creative. Sometimes you have to have to take a road trip. That's just the way it goes. I learned from some very costly experiences, myself. I have no problem at all driving several hundred miles to get to the 1 dealer that will lend me the CD player. And then drive 2 states over because that's where the speakers are. (With the rest of my system in the car, of course). Why? Because its so much easier to spend it, than earn it!
Mesch,

Thanks. I would have written more but I would be just repeating what Al and some of the other posters said.

Bifwynne

"P.S. I have a passing interest in checking out the Revel Studio 2 speakers. Revel's sales literature and member comments both state that the Studio 2s will sound best when driven by a high power SS amp. That sounds familiar. But I think Al might say don't automatically rule out trying the Studio 2s with my ARC tube gear. One day I just might!"

Don't forget that Revel is a Harmon company just like ML. I'm pretty sure every dealer sells both brands. Its a good combo, but I wouldn't hesitate to try some other brands with Revel; tube or SS.