High Current SS amps with input impedance = 200K

I'm looking to identify amps like this that would match optimally to an Audio Research sp16 tube pre-amp with output impedance of ~ 20K?
128x128mapman

Showing 5 responses by guidocorona

Several newer class D amps have imput impedances in the 40K Ohms, including my JRDG 312. . . but the highest may be the Bel canto Ref 1000 Mk.2. It has raised its input impedance to 200K Ohms from the previous version, which was a respectable 20K Ohms already. R1000 Mk.2 handle my 6Ohms wabbly load Mahlers without any difficulties. Guido
I once thought I was in love with ARC D400, at least on specs. . . until I heard it. . . and my ears started to 'bleed'. Am I ever glad I did not buy it without auditioning!G.
Mapman, IMO the BC 1000M (formerly 1000 Mk.2) are likely to occupy the current price/performance sweet spot of moderately priced 500W ICEPOWER gamut. While I have not been able to listen to W4S in the same system as BC, the general impression of me preferring BC significantly and easily over W4S has been very consistent during several RMAF visits. Of course, BC 1000M is quite more expensive than W4S as well. . . and to make things just a little more exciting, W4S is said to be introducing soon reference level amplifiers based on ICEpower, which I have not heard yet. G.
In the particular case of the Bel canto Ref 1000 Mk.2s, the 'moderate' peak current of 45 amps is deceptively low. . . As the 1000 Mk.2s have a balanced output with active positive and negative leads on the speaker terminals, the current is roughly equivalent to a 90 Amp peak for a more common non balance output design, where the active signal would be relegated to the positive terminal, while the negative is left to float. I have used the Bel canto babies on my big Vienna mahlers v1.5s, and the authority that they yield is something to be beheld.

Enjoy them, Mapman! G.
Thank you Al, the figures of 40 to 45 Amps on peak current are inline with published specs for ICEpower 1000 ASP offerings from several other manufacturers. It is worth while pointing out that the 1000 ASP module is capable of yielding a more/less continuous output of 500W, hence the 30.1 Amps max continuous current you have calculated, while the peak current of 45A is sustained only in short bursts, hence the seemingly discrepant figures of peak current vs max power rating. Regards, G.