High Caliber DIY Speakers

I listened to two different pairs speakers over the weekend at the homes of two friends and was floored by how good they both sounded- Vandersteen 5's and JMLabs Utopia. While neither are the most expensive nor "end-all" speakers, both are excellent but beyond what my current budget allows. Realizing that a good portion of any speaker is the cost of the cabinetry, I was struck with the idea of building my own.

I have the cabinetry skills to match or exceed any commercially built cabinets and I also have some very nicely matched burlwood and crotchwood veneers that are just begging to be used. On the other hand, I don't have the electronics knowledge to design a speaker configuration, crossover scheme, etc.

Can anyone suggest sources for acquiring absolutley top-flight speaker kits (sans cabinetry)? Would have particular interest in "system" kits that supply all tweets, drivers, crossovers, etc. and whose design has been carefully matched, tested, and proven. I don't mind having to assemble the crossovers and, of course, building cabinets that will rival the very best in quality.

Obliged for all input.
4yanx

Showing 1 response by lancel2000

I am building a pair of line arrays. They were designed by Joe D'Appolito. They use 8 Focal utopia drivers from the JMLabs Utopia's and a Raven R2 ribbon tweeter.

More info at www.zalytron.com/array.htm They are the w-line arrays.

BTW They are huge!!! I have pictures of the boxes being built.