Hifi USB player fro under 250 Euro

HI, I'm trying to find a cheap and invisible solution to play back flac files located on a 2TB HD.
In theory, if smartphones would be able via OTG to charge, read an external HD and stream data to an external dac everything would be solved and truly small and cheap.
I tried this way in several configurations but something goes wrong. At the end everything worked however the phone was not able to stream flacs fast enough to the dac so that sound dropped continuously.
In my experience the cheapest solution would be an old laptop + external HD + External DAC. I have an 19 years old Think Pad T21 with a 600 mhz single core cpu which does the job perfectly, even with high-res flacs, despite the USB1 interface. However this configuration is to big and to noisy.
Finally i bought the SMSL DP3 which has an decent inbuilt DAC. Unfortunately this device is unable to playback any flac from usb without drops, drops and drops. Changed HD to WD MyBook (read 110 mbs), changed files system from NTFS to extfat to XT3...nothing. My Smartphone+otg+dac was doing better. 
How is it possible that modern 1kg device is not able to do what a 20 years old 3kg device is able to do? Storytelling is not everything seems.
Anyone has a working solution for my requirements? Maximum budget, including DAC, 250 Euro.
Thanks for any idea.

daros71
How about a Raspberry Pi 3B or 4 with a DAC hat? The entire setup with a case would be somewhere around $100, less in Euros. I can recommend the HiFiBerry DAC Hats. If you run PiCorePlayer software (free software) as your operating system, it has LMS (server) software that allows you to plug in a USB hard drive for music storage. PCP also has the Squeezelite player software that will let you play music. The HAT has RCA analog outputs for your amplifier. PCP also supports Tidal and Qobuz and other services if you want to stream.
wow, that dosen't seems not even too complicated to build. Thanks a lot. Probably i will giwe i try if i don't find something already assembled. 
Here is an assembled one.
https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-player.html
It needs 5v 3a power supply.. Diet Pi might get you to PiCorePlayer or you'll have to get it from their site. Control apps are iPeng, free for iOS. And Orange Squeeze, $5 worth it, for Android.
BTW, if you stick with the Raspberry Pi 4 (not the 3B+ or older models, while they have USB output, it doesn't work well for audio) the PiCorePlayer OS option also does straight USB output quite well -- you wouldn't need the Hat card, but would still need an external DAC.

Audio Quest Dragonfly USB DAC, this is a thumb drive size DAC that plugs directly into source via USB. All you need then is 1/8 inch jack cable with RCA's on one end.

Matt