HiDef DVD vs. High End Legacy

I am looking at the new Levinson 51 which will not be upgradeable to HiDef. Levinson says this unit will be superior in sound and video to anything on the market and that HiDef won't be a factor in quality. I would like input from the group on these issues. Whether its Levinson or one of the other manufacturers of quality audio/video transports I am concerned about making the investment in light of changing technology. HiDef has been fumbled for years with the industry failing to reach consensus on a standard. It appears to be years before anything is worked out and reviews of equipment being marketed in the first generation are not encouraging despite the excellent resolution. With a high end video display system an excellent picture can be produced without HiDef. Weigh in.
ksales

Showing 1 response by bignerd100

The HD-DVD players are cheap right now (retail is less than cost to manufacture in order to gain market share). Why buy a super high-end DVD player EVER is probably a better question IMO. A very good DVD player can be had for less than 2K any day. Two more years of HD format war will produce a host of inexpensive players that will blow everything currently available out of the watter. At that point teh question will be which of these new players:
A) Makes the most of your old DVD's.
B)If serving double duty; sounds great with redbook CD
C)Squezes the most out of the new format WITHOUT glitches associated with new technology

Good luck!