Hi-rez downloads, any good?

I recently read an interview with David Chesky of HDtracks. He commented on complaints that some downloads were of poor quality by basically saying, that's what the artist wanted released. It was an artistic decision that he can't change and he can't tell the labels what to do. OK. But, he made the comment in regard to Nevermind by Nirvana. People had complained when they received the download that is was further compressed. I have the original CD and it has good dynamics as Cobain obviously wanted a loud/soft contrast in the recording. So, Cobains been dead for years. Obviously he didn't demand that his recording be further compressed. Chesky has a good reputation as an audiophile who cares about sound quality but this "excuse" doesn't seem to ring true. What's your opinion on hi-rez downloads adn their sound quality or lack thereof?
wildoats

Showing 1 response by marantz7004

Neil Young's new PONO format and player are supposed to end all of our arguments and put all the FLAC hi-rez debates to bed.
After selling my Goldmund Studio TT in 1983 when I was brainwashed with CD Mania, like so many other guys,I purchased a VPI Scout 1.1 last month, and I am listening to MUSIC that sounds better than I ever thought was possible.

Try it...

Mike S
New Jersey USA