Hi-rez DAC - Esoteric K-01 vs. Marantz NA8005

For those who have read my review of the Marantz NA8005 Network Player, and are wondering about the quality of its internal DAC, here is what I have observed after sufficient burn-in of the 8005.

For this A/B comparison, my set-up is as follows :-

A. USB flash drive -> Marantz front panel usb port -> Marantz internal dac -> single-ended analog outputs via Audioquest Lapis interconnects -> Rowland Capri S2 preamp -> Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks -> VA The Musik speakers

B. USB flash drive -> Marantz front panel usb port -> single-ended Coaxial output via Oyaide 75 ohm BNC digital cable with BNC adapter -> Coaxial input of K-01 -> Balanced analog outputs via Kimber Select IA's -> same Preamp and power amp as above

For redbook format, the K-01 transport is way ahead.
So, I am doing this A/B for hi-rez only.

As good as the Esoteric K-01 is for hi-rez, playing the same files through the Marantz's internal dac is one big step up in SQ, wrt every sonic parameter. Moreover, the Marantz brings a pleasing light touch of warmth to the party.

I can only surmise that this result can be attributed to :-

1. More jitter via the coaxial interface between the Marantz and the K-01
2. Hi-rez is more sensitive to the additional jitter
3. The shorter signal path for the Marantz's internal dac
4. Very good analog ouput implementation of the Marantz even as they are only single-ended
5. Higher quality analog IA's from the Marantz to the preamp
compared to the Oyaide digital cable(the BNC adapters may add more jitter)
6. Higher quality hi-rez dac chips or more advanced implementation and design for hi-rez in the newer Marantz compared to the older K-01.

I will continue to use the K-01 for the several hundreds of CD's and some SACD's in my collection, but will use the Marantz direct for hi-rez files loaded into the usb flash drive.

Truth be told, I am rather surprised, albeit pleasantly, by the quality of the Marantz's internal hi-rez dac in a product that costs little more than 1k.

Happy listening.
Jon.
128x128jon2020

Showing 4 responses by tomcy6

I think that feeding the Esoteric from the Marantz puts the Esoteric at a significant disadvantage.
I agree that more $ does not mean better sound especially in the realm of chips and digits. If digital players progress as computers have, they should become cheaper as they get better.

Jon 2020, have you compared playing an SACD in each player?
Sorry about that, I was thinking SA8005 instead of NA8005.

You hit on a good point, the quality of recordings. I think that we could get major improvements in sound quality out of our systems if record labels would make it a priority. Maybe they will as the high-res download market matures, we'll see.
Great news Jon2020. Now if they would lower the prices on downloads, we'd all be in audio heaven!