Hi-Res+Esoteric K-01+USB input+JR Capri S2

With the addition of the Jeff Rowland Capri S2 preamp in my system, I revisited hi-res downloads from my PC to the USB input of the K-01.

My initial impressions of hi-res through the K-01's USB input and digital volume control were disappointing as noted in another thread.

But now with the JR Capri S2 preamp in place, playing hi-res through the K-01's USB input and its balanced analogue outputs, the difference is indeed night and day. Every sonic aspect is improved to another level by leaps and bounds.

The only logical explanation for this is that hi-res needs to be played through an analog preamp to maximize the potential of its resolution. When playing through the K-01's digital preamp, the loss of bits at less than maximum digital volume becomes readily apparent during listening.

Cheers!
128x128jon2020

Showing 8 responses by gocubs999

Perhaps your findings and mine are system dependent. I also have found the same results after comparing the K-03 connected directly to amp vs MAC Mini to K-03 via USB Input and Balanced Analog out to Rowland SynergyIIi Pre.

The TAS review of the K-03 indicated as much during their review of the product. To my surprise additional refinement was achieved after inserting a USB Converter between computer and K-03 with S/PDIF (BNC Connector) out to K-03. It removed additional glare and improved micro/macro transients.

The K-03's CD playback of HiRez or Redbook CD's still yields the very best SQ when compared to my computer rig, however; have closed the performance gap with the changes made to date.
I am using the Bel Canto REFlink. After comparing several USB Cables (Audioquest Diamond, Alethias, Transparent Performance, Silver Starlight ....) I felt the Audioquest Carbon provided the best results. The REFlink comes with a BNC to RCA Adapter.
USB Converters are abundant now days. The Berkley converter that sfstereo is using is also highly regarded. I have attached a link to a forum at Computeraudiophile.com that includes a detailed review of 15 USB Converters. Unfortunately, the BelCanto USB Converters were introduced after this individuals review. Would love to have a chance to trial the Berkley unit at some point as well.

Jon,
My advice is to find a local BelCanto dealer and request a unit for a 15 day trial before purchasing as did. I can safely conclude with the research I have conducted that they are certainly system dependent like most gear in the audio chain....clearly the Bel Canto is not the only quality player here in the USB market.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-usb-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

Hope this helps,

Mark
Jon,
Perhaps this may help. Picked this from a forum at Computer Audiophile.

Why you hear Clicks and Pops:
Very grateful to Gordon Rankin to provide valuable information on why sometimes, we hear clicks and pops when using USB DACs. This question crops up regularly in these pages.

See the reason here.

The computer's flow of data to the DAC is not right.

Usual Culprits:

- Adjust the hardware buffer in the player software to a higher value
- Adjust the ASIO4all buffer in the supplied applet, if you use that software
- The computer's CPU is grossly overloaded
- There's another device on the same USB hub as the DAC
- The driver supplied is not working correctly (maybe corrupt)
- (Obscure) The 5V supply in the DAC circuit is not as it seems - contains spikes/crud or drops off
- You're listening to Rap music where this is fairly normal artistic content
- If the music files are on a NAS, especially over Wireless, the data flow can be incorrect

Good Luck!
Mark
Seems I set the Digital Out to ON when I originally landed on the preferred settings. I performed an A/B comparison again after reading your post and adjusting the Digital Out to THRU. I currently use Amarra for playback.

I chose two high quality/dynamic recordings (Redbook CD's) for the listening session. Emmet Cohen "In the Element" - Track #7 and Juan Manuel Certo "The Puerto Padre" - Track #3.

Tracks were loaded into Amarra Playlist w/Cache on. Then closed iTunes.

Scenario #1 - MacMini Music Server > K-03 USB Input (Using Audioquest Carbon USB)
Scenario #2 -MacMini Music Server > BelCanto REFLink (Using Audioquest Carbon USB) > K-03 Digital Input (Transparent Reference 75Ohm digital link)

My Findings: The REFLink provided better overall SQ in every facet
- Improvement in overall timbre
- Better attack-decay
- Improvement in micro/macro transients
- Bass was a bit more defined/authoritative with just a tad less bloom
- Sound stage extended out R/L of speakers an add'l 2-3 feet

Equipment used: Jeff Rowland M312, JR SynergyIIi Pre, & Avalon Indra's.

I was hoping for the settings change to result in a sale of the BelCanto; Dang! looks like it is staying put for now. Thanks for the heads up though Jon.

Mark
Sfstereo,
Was curious as to your impressions/critique of your ARC CD9 vs K-03.

I have never owned AudioResearch gear, but; always admired the sound of their CD/SACD players I have heard at local dealers.

Mark