HI-FI NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

I am new to the higher end of music listening, actually I haven’t started the listening part yet. I have just purchased an Emotiva XSP-1 pre and a pair of Magnepan 1.7i’s. My listening room is 14x14 but one wall is not closed off completely and there is an additional open space connected that is 8x9. My budget has been unexpectedly diminished more by having to buy new connectors and speakers cables. I just assumed I would be able to use my old RCA connectors and my 50’ spool of speaker wire I bought from Radio Shack 25 years ago. I will pause while you laugh....Anyway, the jist of it is is that I’ve got $2500 left for an amp. I need advice on what would be good for my setup? What would last the next 25 years, as I am a poor man with expensive tastes and will probably not be able to make any further upgrades. Would something used and older be out of date technically in 10-15 years? Could I consider something new that would be adequate for that price point? Should I go mono or two channel? Thank you for your consideration and reply.
widespreadpanic
I drive my XPA-2 pretty hard (especially when the wife is out of town) and I've never had an issue at all!  Also remember the Emotiva five yer warranty that transfers to new owners.

I actually enjoy reading views that oppose the mainstream and encourage the folks to continue presenting those views. No single view is always right. That been said, one point that I feel is critical to this debate and perhaps the ultimate arbitrator, is humans’ hearing physiology and how the brain processes the sound. Just like (almost) everything among us, our ears hear sounds differently. Like many others on this site I’m also an engineer, trained academically and have been practicing in the field for the past 36 years. So I believe in data just like our self claimed resident scientist. But I also believe our ear/brain process that data differently.

This debate is generally pointless since no agreement will ever be reached. Enough said.

That been said, one point that I feel is critical to this debate and perhaps the ultimate arbitrator, is humans’ hearing physiology and how the brain processes the sound.

Right. One point that has been trumpeted by @atmasphere is how humans perceive distortion, but most egregiously so at the higher odd order harmonics. Glad to understand he designs his products with that (presumed correct) fact in mind. Unfortunate though that manufacturers do not include this type of data in their specifications. 
For economical and yet very good sound reproduction, why not audition a Crown XLS amp? The Crown XLS 1502 will give you 300 W into 8 ohms, but it also covers 4 ohms and 2 ohms with higher power with the ability to bridge them. They are Class D, very efficient with power and have come a long way in very good sound reproduction with great detail, good tonal reproduction, sound staging width and depth, and transparency. Have a listen. The Crown XLS 1502 can be found new at $399.99 . . . possibly lower on line.