Hi-end audio is a big zero

This is no knock on dealers, It's just how hi-end audio is.

I go listen to some speakers. He has them set up like crap - jammed between 3 other pair. Running on electronics I would never choose so I have to try and compensate for what I imagine they are contributing to the sound. Then after 30 minutes, I am expected to shell out the $4,500.00.

I narrowed it down to two transports from an online retailer. And who knows if those 2 are even a good choice?  Told point blank, I am not allowed to buy both and return the one I don''t want. Just pick one and buy it. Shell out $1,000-$3,500 based on what?

One e-tailer will allow purchase 3 speakers totally $12K and return the two I don't want. Sorry, i have a conscience and can't do it to him.

Read all you want. Talk all you want. Listen at dealers all you want. But unless you listen in your own room, it's all meaningless. I'm talking even just 5 to 30 minutes can be all it takes. But that is basically impossible.

Sure you can buy and sell on A-gon or Ebay if you find what you want have the time to go through the process.

If the prices weren't so high or I did not care about sound quality maybe it would not matter.

cdc

@cdc 

Out of curiosity, what speakers and transports were you interested in and what do you have now?

We like to have local dealers that have all the greatest stuff, and we can go in and give it a listen. Hopefully they are conscientious enough to discern if you are there to spend money and therefore spend the time to set things up for you properly in the space they have. Mind you, it will never match our space but it should give you a hint, right? Well, there you go! You have a mortgage or a lease. But then we want to hear them in our homes to make sure. It's not unreasonable but here's the thing. It is costly! Either in shipping or in delivering there are cost. Think about it, vehicle cost and maintenance, insurance, fuel, and don't forget tribute to the state in licensing and taxes. Shipping is fraught with costs as well. Is that on them or you?

Don't forget labor!

What's the answer? Only you can choose. A brick and mortar that you can visit and understand it will cost more because of these things or online and cheaper with less actual exposure to the product or poor customer service.

And the part that no one is talking about - the dealer has thousands of dollars of gear in someone's home, and it may not be saleable as new when he gets it back. It's a big risk.

i can relate to those sentiments. look, i can go to the hifi shop and hear a $1500 pair of speakers driven by a $7k tube amp, i can take em home and drive em with my adcom. u know...eh...cmon. theres a much better way to do this. ive heard the dealers concerns and understand those, but so many manucfacturers have that 30-60 day no strings attached satisfaction guarantee. some a 5% return fee. not bad. 

@deadhead1000 

+1000!!

I am the same I have my favorites but will also take music any way I can get it.