HFNR and antiskate on SME 3009/III

When I have my SME3009/III set at approx. 2Gm on the antiskate, and listen to the torture track on the HFNR test record, I get a buzzing in the right channel. Pulling gently on the antiskate string removes the buzz, so I equate that to increasing the antiskate.

Well, if I do that so that it doesn't buzz, the darn thing will not cue up on the outside of the record -- the tonearm flies right off the record. (!)

The antiskate pulley has been lined up (per SME instructions) so that it is perpendicular to the tonearm at the start of the record, and fairly skewed by the end. My thought (and it's dangerous when I think) is that the SME instructions are wrong, and it should be perpendicular when the tonearm is at the inside of the record, not the outside.

Anyone else have this issue?
lousytourist

Showing 1 response by dopogue

Listen to Nsgarch. That test record will lead you astray every time. I tried its "torture tests" and the only cart/arm I have that will sail through all four of them is a l962 Empire arm with a Stanton 881 cart on it, and it has no antiskating provisions at all! I have an SME IIIs myself and wouldn't dream of using the record to set anti-skate.