Here we go again ... driving B&W N802s

I'm a music hound, but no audiophile. That said, I have read a lot here, and learned much from the forum threads. Thank you.

Starting a new system, based on Nautilus 802s. Next step is power, and it's time to consider specific models. It seems that, in no order, Krell and Plinius are most preferred, followed by Bryston, Jeff Rowland, and Pass/Threshold. I've learned bi-amping is best but not necessary, and if not bi-amping, then bi-wiring. And that at least 200 watts per speaker is required, and at least 300 preferred. Despite my many hours of reading, I must say I'm overwhelmed with the choices, but enjoying the process nonetheless.

So now I humbly subject myself to the collective Audiogon wisdom ... what used amp(s) and pre-amp do you recommend for a total buy of up to ROUGHLY $4,000?

Other details ... 300 sf room, plan to own equipment a long time, listen to symphonic, blues, jazz, and rock. And it would be nice to have phono input.
maxtiel

Showing 1 response by kehut

Well...If you want to drive the N802 in your modest size room and use any of the excellent amps you've listed, I think your most likely looking at about $3-4K for the amp alone. Its going to be a real stretch for both amp AND pre amp for even roughly 4K unless you compromise somewhere. Those amps like the Pass/Plinius/ Krells/Rowlands with 200-300 Watts are in the 3-5K range alone. The Bryston may be more affordable, but not by much.

I use a SA250 Plinius and ARC LS25 that sound excellent on my B&W Matrix 801's You dont want to short change your N802's with anything less than excellent gear IMO. I can highly recommend the Plinius amps. They will drive the 802's wonderfully with authority.
Best of luck-Ken