Here's my room...what are my options?

My room is 12 feet wide, 18 feet long. There is a fireplace where the stereo would normally go. I only have room for monitors that will sit on a mantle on either side of the fireplace (firing down the lenght of the room), no more than 18 inches from the back wall, and maybe 24 inches from the side walls.

I have an all McIntosh system with the MA 6900 integrated amp, MCD 205 CD-changer, and MR 85 tuner. I listen to a wide variety of music.

Two intriguing speakers are the Joesph Audio RM 7si-II, and the Revel M20. I have read many good things about the M20 on other threads in this location, but not very much on the Joesph's. Can anyone speak to these or any other monitors (not B&W though, i've heard those) they have used in similar circumstances?

Thank you,
pardales

Showing 1 response by matt8268

I own the Joseph RM22si sig, which is pretty much a 7si sig as a floorstander. I bought the 22's after overhearing the 7si's at a local dealer. My room is also very similar to yours dimension wise, I am using a McIntosh amp (the old MC2105), and like Peteinvicta1 I have my speakers on the long wall (I got lucky in that they sort of had to go there). I think you have the right idea getting minimonitors for your space. My 22's are floorstanding, but still imploy the small, 2 way design of the 7's, and it works very well having smaller speakers for a smaller room (especially when placing them on the long wall).

I can tell you the Joseph's are very nice speakers and that they image well and are not too picky as far as placement compared to other speakers. Some of this opinion comes from what I have read; what I can hear is limited as I am a new audiophile. I have also read that the 7si mk2 is a very significant improvement over the original. I can only imagine how good it sounds. I would definitely recommend going with the Josephs (hearing with your ears first would be ideal).