Here comes the PS Audio's streamer -- anyone excited?

Many here are much more well versed in good streamers than me. Interested in reactions to this new entry.

128x128hilde45

Not really ,I owned their top dac ,and inside a rip-off for the money the case is cheap like a $300 Blu-ray player ,I almost cut my hand open ,from the sharp edges 

this too means it rings like a 🔔 no damping inside whatsoever ,on a $5k + piece of equipment and inside was just hollow space .

that’s why I am not to thrilled , if someone takes the cover off and machined  casework like Bricasti ,and well designed with multiple linear power supplies and regulation then I will maybe look deeper into it.

I'm glad to see a reputable American company introduce something like this. Many good loudspeakers and amps are made in USA, but when it comes to streamers (or streaming DACs/preamps), most of  the best products seem to be Asian, European, or Canadian. Streamers and DACs are prone to software/firmware problems. This makes after-sale service/support important. For American customers, I believe this is best provided by an  American company (or by a foreign company with a strong North American presence.).

The AirLens  product itself does not excite me much.  I'd rather have streaming functions integrated with the DAC/preamp in a single box (like PS Audio's old Direct Stream Junior, without any kinks in the ethernet "bridge"). With a dedicated streamer, maybe half of what you'll pay for is the fancy case and connections.  More clutter, more complexity, and more cost, probably with little or no sound improvement compared to putting an ethernet port on the back of a high quality DAC/preamp. But if PS Audio provides a really good app to control it, and if it's Roon-ready with good integration into the rest of your system, then it might be worth considering if all you're missing is a streamer.  

I am looking for a streamer..no storage..no DAC..PS Audio has 30 day trial and for $2K it must be better than my iFi Zen. The one warning flag is the "quiet switching power supply".

I don’t know how this compares to a properly designed linear supply. I added the iFi $299 switching power supply to my Zen Stream and noted a big improvement in presentation.

Their new 30K speakers are off to a good start and their soon to be released DAC is looking promising. So, like many companies, they are worth a look, but not a blind buy.

I for one am excited. But I have a modified DS Sr DAC whose I2S input said by its own designer is better than the usb input. The Mark II is going to have better isolation on the inputs. But for me this fits nicely in my system. 

But the lack of USB output does trouble me. Limits my options for DACs in the future. But for the 2k built in USA and its isolation will fit me now. I have a spare matrix mini pro 3. See what they give as trade in too. The lack of usb has been talked much about on the psaudio forum. It’s going to limit their sales big time but I don’t think they care. They don’t crank out thousands of devices.