Help: WPC for my speakers

I will try to keep this short. New to the hobby and already have upgraded speakers. I now have system audio 10s. They are 88 db and have 8-4 impedance. Min power 50 watts Max 135 watts.

Currently powered by 50 watt exposure super XV. I got the bigger sound, much better clarity and much better tone accuracy with the upgrade. What I lost was the pin point accuracy/ tight bass that my smaller system audios had. I believe this is do to the lack of power I have using the exposure.

Do you all think more power will solve these problems? Second I am looking at a DK design vs1 mkll by LSA group used. This amp would be 160 wpc at 8 ohms and 320 wpc 4 ohm. Will I have to be very carefull about over powering these speaker or should I be ok with this power
darkstar1

Showing 3 responses by zd542

No. More power won't fix your problem. You need to pick components that image well. That's a design issue. Power has very little to do with it. Can you list your whole system; before and after?
I don't know your speakers either. Regarding the bass issue, more power can almost always help. Given that I don't know your speakers, I really don't know what to make of the imaging. Are you sure they are broken in?
If you want good imaging, you need to consider the whole system. Every piece contributes to it and any one piece can wreck it for the whole system. If you are looking for an amp with good imaging, you have to look beyond power. You need power for other things like bass, for a good image you need purity. For example, SET's are consided some of the best imaging amps you can get. They definately make the least power of any type of amp. Generally speaking, if you want a good image and big stage, look for amps with low or 0 feedback, very low distortion, high quality parts with a fairly simple design and in some cases balanced operation. Some good examples of SS amps that image exceptionally well are, Ayre, Pass and BAT. They each have a different sound, but share some of the same features design wise.

In your price range, you may be able to get something like a good used Ayre AX-7. For what you're looking to do, its in a completely different league than something fron Naim or Exposure. And not just the amp portion, but the preamp portion as well. The preamp is at least as important as the amp.