Help with XLR between Luxman L-509X & Hegel HD30 DAC

Hey there ... I have a Hegel HD30 DAC which will soon be plugged into a Luxman L-509X I'm awaiting delivery on.

Hegel says the best/preferred analog output of the HD30 is the XLR balanced outputs.

However, I have heard or read somewhere (I think) that either the Hegel or the Luxman has a different "hot" pin on their XLR connections.

Can anyone verify this, and is it something I need to be aware of when connecting the two via XLR? I always figured XLR was XLR, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there can be different standards in the way these things are built. 

Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjsqt

Showing 5 responses by luxmancl38

According to Luxman they use transformer balanced inputs. The inputs are at a Max of 2.5 volts. They say "Be aware if you connect the device w/a higher input level (higher output voltage) signal may be distorted." Check the specs on your Hegel. The Luxman is a 509x is a fantastic integrated. For the same price I would have gone for the matching Luxman D-06 DAC.
jsqt I have the CL 38U SE which Luxman just made 100 for their 90th Anniversary. I compared it to the $10k VAC and to me it was no contest. Plus the phono which has 4 step up transformers/the same 3 tube design as the CL 40. I would give it a shot w/the CL-40. If you have a TT I'm sure it'll sound fantastic. Luxman makes excellent tube gear but their solid state get's top billing. Both are great IMHO.
According to Hegel your your DAC runs on 2.6 volts. .1 higher than Luxman. I would contact your Luxman dealer to see if this slight difference will have any affect.
jsqt The tube layout is exactly the same. 3 12AX7's  for the phono preamp and 5 12AU7's for the preamp. In the SE they are using oil caps and the phono has 4 step up transformers 2 for MC high and 2 for MC low. Lp's have a lot of punch and are very quiet. I would venture they are quite similar. Hard to compare as Luxman only made 100 units so not a lot of owners around. This unit has a remote but it's very limited just volume and mute. Everything else you have to get up to do. By the way I'm using an RME ADI2 DAC w/this preamp. Very happy w/the combo. Art Dudley compared it very favorably to his Shindo preamp. It's listed as a Class A preamp in Stereophile. 
Bryston 2.5 sst 2 w/a pair of Aerial 5T's. TT a Linn Sondek, Bluesound Node and a Cambridge Audio 752 BD universal player which go through my RME DAC. Apartment dweller so I can't really go big.