Help with McIntosh Repair Facility

My MC452 is having an issue with the right channel that's a little weaker than the left.  Not by much but definitely noticeable.  Have been trying to diagnose the issue and everything so far points to the amp. I'm using XLR and have changed ICs , preamp tubes, cleaned amp inputs, etc.. but the head scratcher is if I switch the right and left IC inputs on the amp the sound or output is balanced. The meters are in alignment as they should be. The only issue is of course the right and left channels are opposite now.   I've spoken with an authorized repair center and bench testing is $350 and worse case scenario the board needs replacing plus labor can hit $2500 which in my opinion is ridiculous.  Has anyone experienced this issue or have any ideas or know of a reputable or more cost effective repair facility? I'm in Lexington KY.  Thanks in advance.  

Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

Are you sure that the problem is consistent with the cable L/R swapping?

In other words, can you switch the cables 100 times and get the same result?

Do the test that @mlsstl  suggested and then take it a step further by measuring

the output of the pre at the cable ends.  Also, try different cables. 

I once had a cable that had one strand just barely grounding the positive, drove me nuts because switching the cables L/R would "fix" the problem, and then it would reappear. Took a jewelers loop to finally see it. And yes the cable checked good on a VOM simply because I was moving it around. 

Regards,
barts

OP, Good luck with your troubleshooting. I just wanted to add to the good advice you’ve already received that George Meyer AV is an excellent Authorized Repair Center for Mac and numerous other high end brands. 

They charge $80 for bench test/evaluation which is credited to the final repair.

I had a great experience with them and they are scrupulously honest.

I agree with all the above comments regarding the Westchester OH quote; totally out-of-line.  I also agree that your first call should be to Ryan Kilpatrick at Audio Classics in Vestal.  They are known world-wide for their excellence with all things McIntosh, and Ryan has helped me a number of times over the years with some very odd problems.  Check them out: https://www.audioclassics.com

Good luck and let us know how it all ends up working out.

Joyous and safe holidays to you!

@Barts  yes I can switch the cables many times and the problem persists. I changed amps and all is well.  So this tells me it's the amp but I'm just totally befuddled what the issue is.

Effischer thank you and Happy Holidays to you and your family.  I will definitely call Audio Classics Monday.  As far as the shop in Ohio he immediately pissed me off but who likes worse case scenario news and he might have my amp for quite some time. Plus a $350 bench fee is utterly ridiculous. Any repair that is half the cost of the amp is ridiculous also.