Help with MC Cartridge Recommendation to Swap from Ortofon 2M Black MM

I'd like to dip my feet into the MC world.  What would be a good introduction as I am going from an Ortofon 2M Black MM?  

Here's my setup

Manley Chinook tube phono preamp
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated
PSB Imagine T2 loudspeakers

I'd like to stay south of $1k.  I listen to all sorts of music, but on vinyl it would be in this order:

Jazz 50%
Rock 40%
Folk/Other 10%

I've never had a MC so I don't know where to start.  Thanks all!!!
128x128jbhiller
First off, my reason for trying out a MC is just that--to try one.  I thought that a MC might give better detail than a moving coil.  And, I thought that it would be interesting given my phono pre has dip switches and can match with some MCs.  

The AT Art9 seems hard to get unless you go eBay.  I'm not opposed to that though. 

Dynavector would certainly make my list. I would like to try a Denon MC, but I think it's too heavy for my unipivot arm, or maybe not?

The Nima arm manual states an acceptable cartridge weight of 5 to 12 grams, so you have quite a wide range to work with.  I'm a huge Dynavector fan, and would strongly suggest the DV Karat 17 as a possible contender at the top of your price range.  However, the 17 has a mass of 5.3 grams and just because the manual says it's compatible that doesn't make it so.  Tried one with my Graham and couldn't get it to balance even though the Graham manual clearly stated 5 grams was OK.  Maybe look for something in the 8 gram range to be safe?  Your call either way.

Good luck & happy listening!
The Dynavector 20X2 L .3mv or H 2.8mv (9g) with the Manley Chinook and your Table/Tonearm would work very well indeed, if your looking to add some edge and attack along with great detail and effortless highs, striking liveliness with great tone and solid low end. Any of these would be a great choice that have been mentioned. If you look at the answers one thing sticks out, Dynavector has been mentioned most.

Matt M
Harry Weisfeld, founder and resident genius at VPI has experimented with an Ortofon Quintet Blue with the body removed. He loves it and you'd be way under budget.
If you want a better sounding Ortofon...just go up the line.   I have a Windfield and like it.  Open, dynamic, not colored...