Help with Marantz 4270 quadradial

I recently acquired this receiver. It has some problems and i am wondering how hard they are to fix and what might be wrong with the receiver. This receiver is stronger in the left channel than the right. One of the inputs doesnt work correctly. When I plug in my cd player to the front aux input, I only get sound out of the right channel, it works fine through the rear aux and other inputs. When it is working, if I crank it, then it makes my speakers sound crackly, almost like they are blown. I hooked up the same source and speakers to a different receiver and got perfect sound. So its not the speakers. Also the rear channel doesnt really get much output. There is sound, but its pretty weak. Also the tuner is a little off. It still tuned in great once you found the stations, its just the stations are off a little to the left. I really like the sound of the old marantz receivers and im wondering if this one can be salvaged? Also any idea of the worth of this receiver in both current and/or working condition and the potential cost of repairs? I am really new to this and dont know much about them, just that I like the sound when they are working correctly. Ive seen the same model on ebay go for over 200 in non-working condition. The speakers im using for now are polk audio ls50's. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. So any local references for repair would also be appreciated. Thanks!
aloutah

Showing 2 responses by xiekitchen

Sorry guys but the comments to the effect of "modern speakers -- vintage amps" doesn't make much sense to me; we're talking about a pair of Polks here, not big Maggies or some dip down to 2 ohms in some 83 db minimonitor...
The question you need to ask is, are you a 70's Marantz afficiendo, loving that brushed chrome finish and knobs, the blue-violet back light, the script type, the wonderful midrange control, and if so, it will be worth 200-300 + dollars to get it fixed... or modded/upgraded. Sounds like a fun project. Go for it.
Rrog: interesting observation, probably right.. odd though that all the Marantz and others typically provide "A" and "B" speaker outputs, as if it is totally normal for these units to drive two pairs of speakers in a parallel 4 ohm load...