Help with Integrated Amp Choice

I would greatly appreciate it if some experienced audiophiles would give me some advice on component selection. I am in the works to purchase a relatively new set of Martin Logan Ascent i from another Audiogon member and with the plethora of amps/preamps and integrated amps to choose from, it is quite confounding.

The Martin Logans will be the best speakers I've ever had and I want to get gear that will do them justice, but I certainly don't have an unlimited budget. For that reason, I am considering the Krell 400xi integrated amp (will save some bucks not having to buy two pieces of gear) and would like to have some ideas on other integrated amps to consider as well as what cd player to get as well. I've read a review that says the Audio Note DAC 1.1x Signature (tubed) sounded well with it. Here is a link to the reviwew:

http://www.dagogo.com/KrellKAV-400xi.html

So, in a nutshell, I want a minimal system right now, something to play cd's (and perhaps music DVD's although I think that will be way to expensive), the integrated amp and any other necessary pieces including cables/interconnects to make it all work. I've spent a lot of hours lately reading review after review and perusing the Audiogon classifieds and am really not sure what will be a good choice of gear for the Martin Logans.

Thanks in advance for the time and effort in giving me the benefit of your experience.

Regards,
KFK
kfkester

Showing 1 response by dpac996

Kfester,
I have had the NAD M3 for several weeks now, and I am impressed with this amp's character. I have dynaudio s3.4s; the M3 drives the 4 ohm nominal current hungry dyns with great control and ease. I recently took a path, or I should say a different seat on the audio merry go round...in that i replaced my smaller older generation dyns with the modern (more $) s3.4s, while also simplifying the electronics. I had an ARC 100.2 and ARC LS25MKII, and as I have told others, The M3 presents a very similiar transparent open midrange, excellent bass speed/depth, soundstaging that does not suggest there is any limitation from the M3 (in my experience, if the ambiance is actually encoded in the cd most decent systems let you hear that)...the only area where i feel the M3 is not as good as my previous ARC combo is trebles. It's simply not as extended and pure up there. It's not that it's bad at all, more like a bit curtailed, which overall to me, tilts the sonic balance of the M3 to the warmish side.

There is much more i could say, but i'll spare you the details. The M3 is a great integrated amp. I don't know anything about the ML's you have. What's the power requirement/load spec?