Help With DSP Options

I’m looking into trying some DSP, but not sure what’s out there that fits my needs. I want to keep the signal digital till it reaches my dac.  I also need the DSP to output over usb. This is where I’m having trouble finding something unfortunately. I can find a few products that keep the signal digital but none that output over usb. I don’t have a large budget right now, around 500$.  Still interested in hearing about more expensive units though. If out of budget but otherwise the right fit I’d be willing to save for a bit before purchasing. Also curious peoples thoughts on how a DSP might impact the sound outside of its DSP capabilities. I don’t want to loose transparency by adding the DSP, so hopefully that’s possible. Looking forward to what you guys can come up with. 

brylandgoodman

Your easiest path is Roon.

Getting a DSP unit with DSP out is harder than you’d think and AFAIK this has to do with the need for a real CPU and driver to talk to it. The USB handshaking and protocol is complicated.

If you can forego the USB requirement, the miniDSP SHD is excellent.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio

Another choice is to stick with a PC source and use DSP capabilities of JRiver or MediaMonkey.  You can even get DiracLive software that is PC based.

Sorry, mistyped.  I should have typed:

Getting a DSP unit with USB out is harder than you'd think ...

The reason I’m looking for usb out is because my dac has a reclocker option that only applies to the usb input.  A pc isn’t really an option I am open to. I don’t have a pc to use for this purpose. I also don’t really have a good place to put a pc close to the system either. 

If it uses an asynch sample rate converter, I'd say you are trying to use a feature that helps with bad data, but with good data gets in the way. 

I tried an ASRC, and with a modern DAC it had no benefit. With an older DAC it helped with lo-fi and low rez sources like a Google chrome cast stick for instance.