Help with Denon 2900/5900 or MarantzDV8400 or ?

I am looking for someone who has first hand experience with any of the "universal players" currently on the market. If you have had a chance to compare them that is even better. I have been researching the models from Denon and Marantz as they are more in my price range. I am looking for a player that has very good SACD & DVD-A performance. I don't know which format will prevail in the future (maybe both) but I would like to be prepared and in the meantime I will sample both. CD playback is VERY (the most important right now) important. I currently have alot of CD's and do not anticipate replacing them. I just sold my Rega Planet 2000, and would like to stay at or above that level of performance. Video performance is important, but probably last on the list if I have to prioritize. A DVI output would be nice as I beleive my Mitsubishi HDTV has a DVI input. I listen mostly to rock and country... Clapton, Dave Matthews, Shania, etc.. but have a little of everything. Here is my list of equipment...

Sunfire TGII processor
Parasound 2205AT amp
Paradigm 100v2 and studio cc speakers
DH Labs BL1 and Q10 cables

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
matt54321

Showing 1 response by dmitrydr

I had Marantz DV8400 for a week, and was quite disappointed with its redbook performance, even though I read it betters Denon 2900 (haven't a chance to check it myself, though). I'm doubt that currently there are universal players in DV8400 price range that match quality of good dedicated CDPs.