Help with a budget turntable/amp/speaker system?

Hi, I've been collecting vinyl for a few months, but they've just been sitting around collecting dust. I'm trying to get a budget system (My budget is around 950 dollars, can't go over than 1000 no matter what). I already got a Denon DP-300F turntable for $225 used so I guess that lowers my budget down to ~ 750$ for the rest of the system.

I listen to mostly pop-punk/alt rock bands (Bouncing Souls, Yellowcard, Saves the Day, Lagwagon, New Found Glory), some hardcore/post-hardcore (Touche Amore, Silverstein, Kid Dynamite), and a few mellow indie bands (Bright Eyes, etc.).

I'm open to buying used and vintage, although I'd slightly prefer something that's easy to set up and won't break down (I've heard some vintage models are unreliable when it comes to not breaking down).

So basically I need:
Cartridge + Integrated Amp (my Denon comes with phono) + Speakers.

Also, if it comes to it, I'm open to re-selling the Denon for what I paid for it because when I bought it a few days ago, my budget was only around $700 for the whole system.

Thanks!

Some models I'm currently considering/looking at are:
Cartridge: Audio Technica AT-MLA 440, Denon DL-110, Ortofon 2M Blue

Amp: NAD C315BEE (in the process of buying it, debating whether to use it for myself or give it to my brother, NAD 3020, Marantz 2230, Pioneer A400, Sherwood 7100,

Speakers: Thiel, Vandersteen, Polk Audio Monitor 40's (not high end I know).

specific model recs would be appreciated, and thanks again! :)
toxicwaterfront

Showing 1 response by bank738

You really are off to a good start on the journey. I know part of the process is the apprehension in buying the proper components, but falling into your preferred brands is part of the process. I feel that most brands do carry something of their own sonic signature so to speak. I started my system many years ago, and also worked it around the NAD integrated. I had the 3020B. Still functions flawlessly, and is currently giving audio pleasure to my father. In your speaker category you may also consider the Wharfdale line. I have not heard them, but they are at a good pricepoint for your consideration, and have received very favorable reviews. I am found of the Focal line, but you should listen for yourself, and find what suits you best. With your rock leanings, you will want something that can rock a little more. I buy most everything used, but I have always been leary of used cartridge purchases. You will also have to consider your speaker cables. Your table has an interconnect with it for you. If your integrated is vintage and you use the phone stage, be sure to turn the switch off for the phono section of the Denon turntable. I just ran into that when hooking one up for my dad. I am familiar with the Marantz. A friend uses it, and has been very happy with it. I have listened to it with him, and it is a nice vintage piece. Good luck with your choices. If you have the opportunity, I would try to hook up with a local dealer who may carry some of the product lines you might like, and try to listen to some of the gear on your own. I know that isn't always possible though. Best of luck - and remember to trust yourself and pick what suits your taste and your ear.