Help. Wife says Teres 340 Is too bright.

My Teres 340 is equipped with a Origin Live Illustrious 3 arm and Benz Ebony L cart. The rest of my system is listed.
I think the TT combo sounds great. She does too, but says the highs are just a little bright. I have played with VTA but that has not fixed the problem though she says we were headed in the right direction with tail lowered.

She says that we had the Scoutmaster just right prior to buying the Teres. Funny thing is that I thought the SM was a tad bright on certain albums. But she didn't. Now I think the 340 is just right but she thinks it bright on some recordings.

The only component that I can think that would be causing this is the tonearm. I cannot imagine the Benz Ebony L as bright. Nor do I think it is the Teres. I really think we (wife & I) need to have our ears calibrated so as to agree on brightness. But since that isn't going to happen, I suppose I should figure out how to please us both. So, do you think I'm on the right track with the tonearm being the culprit? What tonearm would give a warmer presentation? Thanks for your help
128x128artemus_5
I suppose somebody could bi-monobloc (2 BAT VK-150 SE) for a total of 4 monoblocs. And if it really sounded better, I'm sure there are audiophiles who would do it. I also imagine it would introduce new problems matching gain.

The point is, if higher wattages strongly correlated with better performance for efficient to moderately efficient speakers, then more goners would be bi-monoblocing. Well, at least driving their speakers with more watts.

Seriously though, I am open to a scientific explanation as to why 150 watts should sound better with 106db efficient speakers when compared to enough watts to get the job done well.

In general, I postulate that it is more difficult to build a muscial amplfier outputting more watts rather than fewer watts. So, in a perfect market, I imagine that a goner would do better putting his or her budget into the best quality amp that puts out enough watts to do the job.
Jj2468,
I think, people like Ralph (Atmasphere), would be in a much better position to explain the technicalities.
And of course, Victor Khomenko could do this as well, but unfortunately, he doesn't post much in this forum.
I will be out of town for a funeral for a few days. Unfortunately, my sister died on Wed. I have lost the 4 closest people to me in the last 2 yrs, 3 of them in one yr.I have not had an opportunity to make any changes to my system yet because I have also had a sinus infection.
There have been many good suggestions and a lot of good info so far. I thank you all for your help
I will try to work on these problems when I return, starting first with the least expensive. First thing is probably to remove the loading resistors and let it run at 470 ohms
Until then, thanks again. Hug a loved one. We are not promised a tomorrow. See you soon.
Hi Art,

I missed any reference to your using step-up trannies. Which ones are you using? Step-up ratio (or alternatively, dB of gain)?

So, if your cartridge is seeing a 42R load (and assuming you are loading the secondary of your step-up trannie), this would mean that there's a loading resistor in the 4K7 to 5K range.

You might try a higher quality resistor. Some of my customers report pretty good results. Loading the secondary however (the side of the trannie that "talks" to the phono stage) is less affected by resistor quality than is loading the primary (different values would be used for the primary, btw).

-----

I'm familiar with two of George Wright's phono stages - both of which were derived from your model. One of them is the phono stage in the WPP100c and the other was a stand-alone model - the number which escapes me at the moment.

Both of them had very high gain for an MM but not quite enough for a low output MC. I'd say that they were ideal with a medium o/p cartridge - say in the 1 to 1.5 mv range. On both of these units, he had a pot to adjust the gain, but frankly, it was too twitchy. At the price point, George was trying to anticipate too wide a range of cartridges - an impossible task - to try to be all things to all people (cartridges). I think he was facing resistance to step-up trannies and trying to deliver an honest product at a price point (which he did).

George put out a great value product for the money - not in the class of even a Hagerman Coronet-I, but still an honest and musical product.

Rest in peace, George ... you were one of the good guys and we all miss you.

I still suspect a new phono stage is in your future ;-)

Cheers,
Thom
Some things can put this obsession into a proper perspective.
You have lost much.
Best wishes.

Sam
Please accept my most sincere condolences for the loss of your loved ones. Originating from a single child family, I have yet to experience a DIRECT loss. I have lost a few relatives recently who live in other countries, but my immediate family here is still alive. (knock on wood). I try to prepair myself here n there so when the unfotunate happens...it wont feel like a brink in the face. But, I think that untimately it is futile. There are many costs to living this life, but they should no outweigh the benefits. We are a unique species indeed.
Back from funeral and some progress made.
First, I took the loading resistors out which raised the load to 470ohms. This didn't make much difference. Then I replaced the silver cables with inexpensive Wireworld Ic's. This made some difference but there was a loss of resolution. I then removed the WW cables and replaced them with the Signal Cables silver signature. I previously had three different cable brands in the chain. This helped some. But what made a major change was in resetting the VTA. I don't know how it got so far off, but the tail was dragging a lot. I think what happenned was that I lowered it some to ry to alleviate the brightness and then when I set it back to the previous setting, I turned it the wrong way. Now the wife likes it but I would still like to tame the highs a little better. This is not on every album for many sound great. And I just made the changes yesterday. So i haven't listened to very many albums yet. I think the somewhat bright highs are a result of bad pressings as much as anything. Its not a full time thing nor is it unlistenable of fatigueing. So i may be overblowing the problem.
On another not, I have been looking at phono preamps and tube amps.
I've considered the JLTI but would really like to stay with tubes. However this pre gets lots of good reviews. I've also looked at ARC PH3se but have heard that it is not a good match for very LOMC such as mine which is only .23mv output
I've also considered some tube amps. I may pickup a Wright 300B since it is somewhat inexpensive and it would give me a sense of what tubes might sound like.
I can't nor should I spend much tweaking the system now since my wife has reaffirmed her desire for me to build a listening room. She'd like to have her living room back.
Thanks for your kind words about my loss and your help with the problem. 'm still open to ideas about the phono pres mentioned or other observations
That is awesome!

Wifey: "Honey, it just doesn't sound right. You need your own dedicated room to help get the sound right."

If you ever get tired of that woman, give me a ring. I mean, I have one like that already, but in this hobby one can never have too many spares! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Dan ed. Everything has a price. Wifey is making plans for the possibility that we will have to take her mother in. They need a place to put me. Of course, that's fine with me. We talked about building a shop out back with a listening room above. I don't know if I'd spend much time in the house at all if that happens
I had a feeling there may be something like involved. In our case, it was our youngest son. Keep your sense of humor and your hobby(ies). They will serve you well.

Best of luck to you.
Thom,I put the resistors back in on the secondary. They are 4.7kohm. i had them in the primary position before. I'm sitting and listening now and WOW. It really sounds nice.

I'm still considering a new phono preamp though. Let a JLTI get by me that was very good price. I'm also looking at the K&K Maxxed Out which I am lead to understand is the Art Vinyl reference with a different rectifier.
I'm also looking at tube amps. I've been wanting to go the tube route for some time

Dan ed. I looked at your system and wow. Very nice and nice to look at besides. I had a pair of loaded horn cabinets about that size back in the early 80's They were nowhere as pretty though. I used them on my PA in a few bands I was in. They had 15" EV's and sounded as loud at 150 ft as they did at 10ft. Can't imagine how big your room must be. Then too, I sure they are diffeent animals then what I was running even though the cabinet size looks the same.

Raul, I looked at your system too. I think you need at least one more TT. All kidding aside, you have a showroom of some of the best TT's and arms I've seen anywhere.
Got your email also. Thanks. I'll give you a holler. things have been rather hectic

Happy Thanksgiving to all
Couldn't let the last post just sit there!!!! It seems you have a great wife with good ears, your very fortunate. My wife has good ears but doesn't listen with me much except when I ask for an opinion. On the other hand she really likes the looks of the CJ and Wilsons and the sound of the system, go figure!!!!!
I've been bouncing all over the place looking for a new phono.... tube, SS or hybrid. I did a stop gap act and bought a Pass XONO hoping it will be a substantial improvement over the Nova and hold me until I'm sure what I want or kind of sure or......!!
Good luck with your search.
Thanks Samhar. You're right. My wife is also my best friend and has been very supportive of my music need.
I have also ordered a tube amp and am looking forward to receiving it anad see how it compares. I must also say that since a few tweaks, this system really sounds great most of the time. I think what I am hearing on the few occasions where there is a tendency towards brightness is the system exposing a bad recording. But I've been wanting to play with tubes for a while now, so we'll see how a relatively inexpensive tube amp stacks up to the CJ 2500a
I haven't given up on a phono preamp. But like you, I haven't been able to come up with a path which turns me on yet. The Xono is a really good pre and gets very good reviews. Class A too, isn't it? I would like to stay with tubes though. I've considered the K&K maxxed out. But i need to take one step at a time. Right now, its tube amp time. It should be here by the weekend maybe.