Help Which re-tip best for denon 103R? Shibata?

or Soundsmith diamond etc? read lots of conflicting stuff on shibata.... out of this world but takes eternity to get it done in germany and maybe not as good as sound

Anyone had theirs done by soundsmith at the 3rd level? results? heard the Shibata? thanks for whatever info can gv.
ml89009

Showing 1 response by johnbrown

I had a 103r replaced by VandenHul with his 'Type 1' boron cant and vdh stylus. Total cost-right at 325.00 including shipping both ways.

Initial impression-much more detail in the higher frequencies, but with an accompanying steeliness that was almost grating. Seemed to have lost much of the mid-range warmth that the 103 series is so well known for.

After (now) 131 sides, or about 43 hours, it's become much more musically enjoyable. What before was amost etched has now become detail w/some air around the notes. Bass is definitely improved from the stock 103r, in that it's tighter and more defined.. Midrange?. Still not as musically satisfying as the standard model, but not unpleasant-just different.

BTW, this isn't just sonic adaptation (at least totally). I've kept a stock 103r on my second arm (JMW 12.5) during this process to occasionally compare.

Hope this helps.