Help: Unidentified high-pitch sound

Hello---I'm hoping someone can help me identify the possible source of a intermittant high-pitch sound coming from my left speaker. So first of all, here's my system:
-VPI TT
-Modwright SWL 9.0 AE preamp
-Bel Canto REF500s amp
-Marantz 8006 CDP/streamer
-Dynaudio Special 40s
-WyWires ICs

My system is only about a year old old and up until a week ago, everything has been just fine---beautiful music. I usually hear the tubes warming up for the first couple of mins with a little 'ping' sound. But then I noticed a slight but audible high-pitched sound coming from my left speaker---nothing on the right. I had been listening to the streamer when this happened. So I switched the sources on the preamp and still noticed it no matter what source I picked. But sometimes it did disappear while I was switching the source. I don't notice it when the music is playing---but when the song stops, I hear it. Then, a couple days ago, I was turning off my system and noticed it disappeared when I turned off the Bel Canto. So is the source the amp or the preamp or something else? Thanks so much for any advice.
bluorion
If it does move with the preamp output swap you could then go further.
Open up the preamp( powered down of course) and swap the tubes themselves L and R.
While in there you might possibly find one tube was loose in its socket.
Anything is possible but I would definitely start at the Modwright if it was myself.
Good luck.
I am not sure what brand tubes Dan is using in his preamps but the original tubes in the 9.0 were Philips 5687 tubes. Those tubes were late 1970's or early 80's tubes and frankly, not the most musical. If you are the original owner be happy that the tube lasted a year. The 5687 tube runs hot and like everything else man makes, it breaks. Like the others before me, yes, check the tubes first. Having owned a 9.0 I ditched the stock tubes and went with Raytheon 5687 tubes and never had an issue. I did have an issue with the preamp itself though and mine developed a hum or a whine after it was on for about 90 minutes or so. It had to go back for repairs. It did not do it when I first owned it. It started after about six months and fortunately is was still under the warranty. Since this preamp was in place for awhile and there were no issues previously, I do not think you have a ground loop. I think your amp is a Class D amp and I have had impedance issues with my tube preamps and class D stuff. But then again, you said you have been using this system arrangement for awhile so again, perhaps not an issue.
Go with tubes. And if you buy NOS tubes for the preamp, buy from a reputable dealer. You might pay a little more but you won't be spending money on junk either. I have seen a lot of counterfeit tubes from certain parts of the world and the tubes that people think they are getting are nothing but rebranded POS tubes.
Uh, also the sound will go away when the amp is off as there will be nothing to amplify the signal.
Have you moved cables or wires recently? Make sure that there is no RFI between the cables and you can help yourself by having the cables cross at 90 degree angles, or keep them a decent distance from one another.
I was turning off my system and noticed it disappeared when I turned off the Bel Canto

If that was the last thing you turned off then its the amp. If its still there even with everything disconnected from the amp, confirmed.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The Mod was my first venture into tubes so I'm new when it comes to any issues with them. I'll definitely check the tubes first.