Help! Receiver or preamp? Im overwhelmed...

I need some help. Been gone for years and much has changed and Im just overwhelmed with the years of info on the forums. I dont want to make a foolish decision and would so appreciate the communities gracious knowledge and assistance.

Im 75% music and 25% HT. 

Gear:
Paradigm Studio 100 v4 mains Paradigm CC690 center 
Paradigm V2monitor surrounds
SVS PB13 Ultra Sub
Emotiva XPA 5 amp (200x5)
Keeping all the above

The old 5 channel Rotel HT1055 receiver (no HDMI) needs to upgrade even though I love the sound! Im fine with 5.1 and not interested in Atmos. Im also fine with a used item. What do you reccomend for some killer sound and updated HDMI?

jsbranham7

Showing 1 response by noble100

mahler123:" The OP asked for help on the receiver/preamp side of things, so I don’t think we should be overloading the response ledger with disc player recommendations."

Hello mahler,

Did you not read my entire post or did you just not understand my proposed solution that goes above and beyond his original question and is likely much easier on his budget, no matter what the OP states it actually is, as well.
     An Oppo, combined with his existing 5 ch amp, would outperform any a/v receiver or preamp/processor that I’m aware of. He also gains an excellent universal audio and video disc player with a built in video processor, if he doesn’t have one already.
     I’ve never had the issue of an outdated HDMI input or output with either the Oppo 105 or 205 and doubt the OP would either.
    The only downsides of using an Oppo 105 or 205 as a preamp/surround sound processor are the following:
1. Atmos is not supported.
2. There is no auto room correction.
3. If vinyl playback is required on the system, a separate 2-ch preamp is needed.
     The OP said he only uses 5.1 surround audio for HT. room correction is seriously overrated and, if proper care is taken in selecting and positioning all speakers and subs in the room, it’s not necessary in my opinion and I’m waiting for the OP to state whether he uses vinyl as a source.

Tim