Help on Electronic Problem


I have a fireplace in the room where I have my stereo and when the fireplace powers up the blower to dissipate heat from the fireplace, I hear static (sometimes loud static) coming through my speakers. I have a PS audio power purifier that I plug my system into. Yet I still hear the static (whether music is playing or not). What is this and what do I do?
robsker
It is radiated rf from the blower motor. This rf is not coming in on the line but is radiated directly to your system. Sometimes moving cables around or moving your preamp around could help but this is a real difficult problem to eliminate other than not running the blower when listening
Gas log fireplace?
Full time pilot light? Or an electronic ignitor that lights the pilot?

Are you sure the static is not being caused by an electronic ignitor?

Can you light the fireplace and leave off the fan? If so try that first. No static, then turn on the fan.....

If you are positive the static is being caused by the blower fan call a service tech and have him check out the blower fan circuit. Static can be caused by arcing due to a lose connection or poor contact of a switch or relay contact. Static is RFI and can be transmitted trough the air or go back out through the wiring of the house
.
Vari-speed on the fan motor?
Get your equipment off of the same circuit the FP blower is on.
I would guess the fan motor is a Shaded Pole type motor. As a rule this type of motor would not cause the problem the OP is experiencing.

At this point the OP needs to contribute more information.....
.
It is a gas fireplace. When it is about to have the fan go on, the static starts... often the static stops once the fan is on (though, not always). It does have a full-time pilot light. I am not sure if I can control when the fan is on or not.

By the way... thank you everyone.
When it is about to have the fan go on, the static starts... often the static stops once the fan is on (though, not always).

Sounds like the fan is controlled by a thermostat. Automatically turns on and off?

I still think it is a faulty wiring issue, poor electrical connection, or a faulty contact.

The thermostat could be a line stat or maybe low voltage that controls a relay that turns the fan on and off.

Best thing to do is call a service tech and have it checked out.

Be thankful the static is not an intermittent problem where it only happens once and a while. Those are the worst to diagnose. You want it to act up when the tech checks it out.
Jim
Unfortunately, a gas fitter is usually not equipped or experienced with electrical noise issues affecting audio gear. Really not an electrician's realm either.

Fan probably switched by something as simple as a thermostatic "snap disc", probably up top/front.

Looks like:

http://www.pexsupply.com/White-Rodgers-3F01-110-3-4-Snap-Disc-Fan-Control-Cut-In-110-Degrees-F-Cut-Out-90-Degrees-F-14691000-p

Underneath, the louvres should be hinged or removeable. Look for something like this as the most likely culprit:
(about the same size as a dimmer switch... nudge nudge wink wink)

http://www.amazon.com/Suncourt-VS100-Variable-Speed-Control/dp/B004JYM2ZY
Unfortunately, a gas fitter is usually not equipped or experienced with electrical noise issues affecting audio gear. Really not an electrician's realm either.
03-23-12: Ngjockey

As a rule plumbers do not install fireplaces, a sheet metal worker does. The same people that install gas fired furnaces and central air conditioners. The sheet metal worker also installs the gas line.

Heating and air conditioning contractors, in most cases, employ highly qualified service technicians that are trained by the manufactures, of the equipment the contractor installs, to work on the electrical circuits of high efficiency gas furnaces and central air conditioners.

Those same HVAC contractors install gas log fireplaces and service them.

They also have the service manuals as well as a hot line phone number for service tech support from the manufacture.

Fan probably switched by something as simple as a thermostatic "snap disc", probably up top/front.
That could very well be the culprit.... It could also be something as simple as a male to female connector that is not making good contact.

Unless the OP knows for sure what he is doing I would recommend he have a qualified service tech check out the unit.
.
I definitely do not know what I am doing! I will call the fireplace people.

I was thinking that maybe it was a wall wiring issue (older home --- thinking that the FP when the fan went on overloaded the circuit or something --- yeah... I do not know what i am doing) but not one of you asserted such... so I will call them up.

Once more.. thank you all for your help... I will give the fireplace people your guys posts when he arrives.