Help on DVD and Home Theater Set Up

I have a traditional stereo with a pre-amp, and power amps. I listen to vinyl and CD's. Without losing my pre-amp for vinyl, is it possible to incorporate a DVD and the additional channels into my system to achieve a HT?
rfj

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Rfj:

I "guess" you can do it, but it's going to be awfully difficult. If I had to combine both systems into one, then if I had to adhere to a budget (and let's face it, who doesn't), then more than likely, compromises will have to be made somewhere. And just like "Avguygeorge" has said, I have to have the best sound that "I" can attain from within "MY" budget when I am listening to music. I feel the same way when I am looking at a flick. I want the best sound attainable. And for me, that means TWO SEPARATE systems (one for music listening, and the other for watching movies). Nevermind that my Adcom GFP-750 has a "processor pass thru" loop. If the preamp is located in my living room, and my home theater is in my bedroom, then that feature is of little use to me. The advantage to the separate systems approach is this. I can concentrate solely on making optimistic choices when it is time to buy the components needed to make my system perform up to my standards and sound great at the same time, as well as staying within budget, which means that I tend to concentrate solely on one component and buy one component at a time. Even if that means I have to sacrifice some system enjoyment for a while. I know if I do that, then I know that once my system is completed, the reward will be greater than the sacrifice that it entailed beforehand. So in other words then, I try obtain the VERY best component attainable in the price range I set for myself, and then I continue to build my system using this VERY approach.

So, that's my opinion then. Two seprarate systems is the way to go.

--Charles--