Help on basic 200 amp electrical service?

Here is an simple question. How can you tell if my house has 100 amp or 200 amp service? If I have 100 amp service what typically needs to be done to upgrade?

Thanks for the help and patience for my in learning in advance,
Al
dra1

Showing 2 responses by dra1

Just got help from a friend. My panel is 200 amp. :)

A few more questions, my friend and I didn't know.

How do I know when the panel is full from an amperage perspective? My panel has over 200 amps worth of switches in it? (many 15's, many 20's incuding two for stereo on the same side of the panel, 2 50's etc...)

How do I know that my electrical service from the power company can handle 200 amps?

Thanks again. (debating whether to hire an electrician to review the house setup...)

Al
Jeffcott,

Thanks for the perfectly worded answer. I added up everything in the house and if every thing is turned on from the stereo, oven, 2 A/C's, Well, clothes dryer, microwave, etc... to the last blow dryer and asuming everything runs all day long (which of course it doesn't), we are well away from 200 amps. I saved both your post and the Alaskan usage table.

My only goal which I should have said before after the saftey of the family was to see if my power senstive stereo was being fed enough. Since I am now comfortable with both, I rest easier and with my pocket a drop fuller not having to spend money and time on a electrician.

I am in your debt and greatly appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Al