Help needed on a recalcitrant Sony DVP-S7000

I have an old Sony DVP-S7000 DVD/CD player that I would like to give to a friend if I can fix an annoying problem. This DVD/CD player works perfectly but will refuse to play about one out of three brand new DVDs.

The problem is with the player. I used to follow the instructions on Sony website to re-calibrate the player by just turning it off and back on in a special way.

I lost my copy of these instructions, which have now been removed from the Sony site! If anyone still has these instructions, I would love to get a copy from you.

Thank you.
justin_time
Use the following key press sequence:

1. Power (off)
2. Time
3. Clear
4. Power (on)

When DVP-S7000 turns on, you will see the main service menu.
Thanks Rwwear, but you're on the wrong track! The problem has absolutely nothing to do with regional coding. These are regular movie DVDs from Frye's, Best Buys, etc. They will play on any other DVD player, including my Sony DVP-S9000ES. It's just that the Sony DVP-S7000 is an early, finicky model with notorious tracking problems. The code forces the player to track the specific DVD.
It sounds like you are talking about the code to make the Sony a multi-region player.
Bdgregory, we are almost there. The instructions I used forced the DVP-S7000 to play a previously rejected (new) DVD by recalibration. The preliminary steps are there. But missing is the step where you input a certain (numerical?) code after turn on to force the player to play the DVD it previously could not play.

Thanks for your help
are these the procedures? I copied them from the DVP S7700 FAQ database.
===============
Follow this procedure to troubleshoot if the DVD player cannot read or play the inserted disc.

1. Ensure the inserted disc is compatible with the DVD player.

IMPORTANT: Consult the instruction manual of the DVD player for a list of compatible discs.
2. Use a soft cloth to clean the disc.
3. Examine the disc for any cracks or scratches that might be interfering with playback.
4. Attempt to play another disc.

NOTES:
* If another disc plays in the DVD player, then the previous disc is faulty.
* Some recordable discs may not play correctly because of the quality of the recording, the physical condition of the disc, or the characteristics of the recording device or authoring software used.
5. Remove the disc from the DVD player.
6. Turn off the DVD player.
7. Unplug the power cord of the DVD player from the AC outlet.
8. Let the DVD player remain without power for 1 minute.
9. Plug the power cord back into the AC outlet.
10. Turn on the DVD player.
11. Insert the disc into the DVD player.
12. Attempt to play the disc.
Richingoth. Yes, my recalcitrant Sony DVP-S7000 requires recalibrating.

I tried the site you suggested. That's the same one I used. The instructions for recalibration are GONE! Thanks just the same.
I still own a DVP-S3000 the lower priced entry Sony model also from 1997. It will only play selective newer Dvd's released since last summer. It will however play all older Dvd's without any issues. There are no issues at all on Cd playback. Curious also, yet the player has been easily forgotten in a guest bedroom. I do not feel that my player is out of allignment, or in need of recalibration of any sort? It may be a Firmware upgrade from Sony that is required, if this is even ever an available option?

P.S. Richingoth Thanx! As the site you mentioned has manuals for download/printing for many older obsolite Sony products.
Do you mean recalibrate? Maybe on this site that I've bookmarked a few years ago.
Good luck.
had a site with the exact info and more but just checked and the Link isn't working now. Sorry