Help -- need Idiot's Guide to music server system

Squeezebox, FLAC, Mac Mini, lossy, lossless -- help, what does all this mean? I'm trying to find out more about taking a CD collection onto hard drive music server. Can anyone recommend a Beginner's Guide, whether online or in print? I'm not completely computer illiterate but I can't figure out the basic hardware needed. My main interest is not to broadcast music wirelessly to different rooms but to get a thousand-plus CDs into some more convenient and secure data storage system without loss of CD audio quality -- can it be done, and with what? If you can point me to an Idiot's Guide, I'd appreciate it.

If it matters, my current system (set up in a small listening room) is a Naim Nait 5i amp and Naim CD5i-2 player driving a pair of Spendor S3/5s. The rest of the room is filled with CDs. Thanks.
jhold

Showing 4 responses by slikric3000

I put together a computer with some old parts laying around, got it up and running and ripped a couple cd's in wav lessloss, run it out of the coax to a pre/pro. God what a horrid sound. My $.02 if your thinking about this route.
I dunno, I just tried it for fun not that thats what I want to do. I primarily did this to play podcasts with in mp3 format. I have getting close to 1200 music podcasts and putting them on cd and listening to them is getting to be a problem spacewise. Actually the mp3 sounded much better. I'm not really looking for an elaborate setup, just something that will do.
Kleech, the way to make it easier is to do a specific number/day say 10, 20 or whatever.