Help My Nautilus B&W 804's 'pop' at loud volumes.

When listening to loud volumes for long periods of time (around 2 hrs), my left speaker has begun to make a loud 'popping' sound during a stressful point on the speakers (example: Explosions near the end of 'The Dark Knight' Batman movie, or a tight bass hit during play of the new music Blu-ray version of Rush's 'Moving Pictures'. There's no evidence of a tear in the speakers dust caps, cone or their surrounds.

It doesn't seem to happen earlier during my listening experience. This leads me to believe it may be Amp or 'heat related'. But I'm still curious why it only happens to the left side speaker.

The speakers are driven by an Anthem AVM-20 pre/pro and MCA-50 amp. I'm using RSC Prime BiWire speaker cables by Tara Labs.

Thoughts?
bw_elite

Showing 1 response by islandmandan

As Raquel stated, get your speakers repaired if necessary. You didn't say, but it sounds like you are not using a sub for the bottom end. If you aren't, you should consider getting one (or two) to reproduce the bass frequencies. If you don't change your listening habits, or get speakers that are made for that kind of punishment, you will continue killing speakers.