help me with cheap tape deck.

Want to spend arround $200 on used tape deck with the following:
3 heads, minimum 2 motors(3 is better), record monitoring, non-digital VUs, all manual adjustmens(bias, separate level controls on each channels), good recording preamp, built quality, none-china(also non-indonesia, non-Korea) made.

for transfering extra-valuable vinyls to tapes.
128x128marakanetz

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Marakanetz:

I am also with the others who said for you to get a Nakamichi as well. Unlike most other decks that were made during their generation, Nakamichis tend to be well made, and they also tend to have very good heads, mated to very good electronics, and have most of the features you are looking for. I have a Nakamichi myself, and I "DO" swear by it. I have a BX-300 that is 15 years old, and it is a 3-Head/3-Motor design. It was one of the last affordable direct-drive decks ever made (I believe that the CR-4A was the last one). It also has "bar graph" type of VU meters (which I like better than the "analog type dial in the needle" type of VU meters. They are better able to help you set recording levels more accurately). I believe this deck has retailed for about $800.00 back in 1984-87 (I bought mine in 1987, and got it on sale for $600.00 (and dare I say that THAT was the best $600.00 I ever spent)). But now, you should be able to land one for about $300.00, tops. Of course, if you are willing to spend a little more money, then a CR-7A would be better. If I had the extra money to spend on a deck at the time I have bought my BX-300, then that's what I would've gotten. Or if you want the ultimate deck that Nakamichi has ever made, then there is always the Dragon.

So, as you can see here, I am very happy with my BX-300. And that I don't intend to part with it (unless I can find a CR-7A at a price that I cannot refuse). Believe me, if you can find a Nakamichi of your own, you're going to feel the same way. Trust me on this one.

Hope you find your deck very soon.

--Charles--