Help me with a digital Font end

I'm looking for a good cdp (used $1-1.5k) and a pre-proc which is very good for music (for approx. the same amount of money-used), to match with two Citation 7.1 amps (one to bi-amp mains for music and one to handle HT channels.
Looking for significant upgrade from:
Cambridge Audio D500-SE cdp
Adcom GTP-760 pre/proc
I use system mainly for music (90%)
Looking for units able to get close to the best out of quality speakers such as B&W N804, Von Schweikert VR4 GenII, Vandersteen 3a Sig., Theil 3.6 (speakers in this range)
Any suggestions?
say811

Showing 4 responses by say811

How do I hook up a pre/proc to a 2 channel pre-amp? I'm assuming that I should hook up my music cd-player to the pre-amp and my DVD player to the pre/proc(yes?,no?, maybe?) Do I then use any particular imput jacks on the back of the pre-amp to hook the pre/proc into? Probably dumd questions but I'm clueless and I surely don't want to be plugging stuff into places it shouldn't be plugged into and blowing up my system

Thanks,

Steve
Since Soix brought it up, Here's another question I have. Is the music capabilities of a fairly good pre/proc up to par with the sonic capabilitirs of a straight pre-amp? Does a Lexicon DC-2 equal an Adcom GFP-750 in music?
I DEFINATELY do NOT want to compromise 2 ch. performance so there is absolutely room for another box in my system. I haven't really been exposed to this way of going about it, but it seems to be an excellent way to go (pre/proc. and a seperate 2 channel pre-amp) Do I need to look for something in particular when shopping for the stereo pre? I'm assuming I need something called HT pass-through. Anything else to look for? Any problems with going this route? What are good pre-amps to look for with this feature?
My cdp has already been sold so I won't be able to use it as a transport; I therefore still need a new one. Anyone know of any really good synergies out there between:
X-cdp, X-pre-amp(with HT pass-through) and my Citation amps?

Thanks,

Steve
Inscrutable; many thanks for a very clear explaination, I think this will be a great way for me to go.
Any suggestions/recommendations for a quality pre-amp in the (used) $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 range?

Thanks,

Steve