help me with a DAC decision please

i'm looking to upgrade my wadia DAC. My first choice would be to have it also act as my pre. My mind could be changed on that however. I am looking seriously at the April Music Eximus. Does any of the Metrum offerings fit in here? I  need some help finding comparative models from other makers. There is no place for me to see any close by. I have to wing it off of the web and your recommendations. I do not object to buying used.My budget would probably be under 3 grand new or used.
thanks for all the help
dpm2340

Showing 1 response by alfa100

I replaced the Wadia 521 with MSB Analog DAC.  The MSB is closest to the Wadia sound character but betters it on every front.  Furthermore the MSB plays high res. I did not like the new Wadia DAC i.e.  The 321. It does play Hi res bit does not sound like the Wadia you and I are familiar with . It is not a solid weighty sound. If you fall into the Wadia camp i.e. Before Fine Sounds took over you would be happy with MSB .  Hopefully you will find a used MSB Analog DAC to fit your budget.   Also look at the following Audiogon Thread.   From Wadia to ?   Sorry I do not know how to paste the link