Help me spend $3000 on a used amp

I am setting aside up to $3000 for a good used stereo or mono block amps.

I have efficient speakers so the power does not have to be abundant but enough to run. The room is not big nor small so at least 100 watts plus should be efficient.

To mono block or not??? I have been debating that question.

I would like to have XLR imputs.
freemand

Showing 9 responses by freemand

Thanks guys! I am going to start researching your suggestions and come back with some thoughts.

I ran a Jolida tube amp for years and have recently put a Chiro amp in which clearly has way more power, but seems to have a wider, deeper soundstage. I did loose some of that warmness, but feel I gained in a more neutral presentation which seems to render a more natural sound.

I dealt with tubes going out and having to spend nearly $200 a pop which I don't think I want to do anymore.

I have some heavily modded Kef Reference 104/2, Nad m51 dac which accepts digital HDMI from the Oppo 103d. Also a toshiba xa2 hdvd. I like running the hi res formats from the 103d and m51 including blu ray movies in two channel.

Glenfihi, why would you choose stereo over mono?
After some thinking over the weekend I may increase my budget to around $3500 or a bit more if it proves better results.
Mtrot, did you ever get the pass amp or still have the McCormack? Thats an interesting take on the pass labs amps. Sounds like the x150.5 will sound more solid state and dynamic and xa30.5 more polite like tubes.

Neal, the krell 300cx sold last night that was $3300. I still have more to learn before pulling the trigger, but the krell may have been an option. What did you have before the Krell 300cx?

The krell 300cx seems like it could be more bang for the buck then a pass xa30.5 given the Krell retails for almost double but can be had used for near the same price.
After reviewing some suggestions I have some ideas.

The Ayre v5xe has peaked my attention most. I was shocked by how theres not much inside the cabinet. Looks to be a basic design which would allow so much room to do tweaking inside if wanted.

The pass x150.5 has the prettiest face and looks like a well regarded unit.

The KWA-150 modwright also looks well respected

These seem like the most viable options. I had a bad experience with Mcintosh as you can read hear on agon when I reviewed the Mac 7 channel amp that was around $8000 against a Gemstone 7 channel that was about $2500. This was in 2007. The cheaper gemstone sounded much better. I also cant stand the look of Mcintosh.

I get confused with krell cause there seem like so many amps out there and would not know where to start.
Tarp38, I agree on the warranty and a business that stands behind their product so long is highly admired and a big plus when buying.

There is a tread here on agon that has the ayre v5 or bryston 4bst and the thread seem to like the ayre v5 and a few agreed the ayre will have a more refined treble.

Not sure what the 4bst is like to a 4bsst2??
Harri009, the pass xa100.5 would be to much cost but the xa30.5 would be an option.

Looks like a xa100.5 and x150.5 are around the same used price. the xa.5 class a sounds like a better sounding amp the x.5 class ab. But the xa30.5 is only 30 watts to a x150.5 150 watts make me concerned if the 30 watts is to low. I have 90db speakers.

Be curious if anyone compared those two pass amps.

The krell 300cx is peaking my interest.
Harris009, thanks for all your audio wisdom! I knew little going into the thread and feel like I'm getting a better grasp of the options out there in the used price point I set.

from what I gathered, the pass labs xa.5 series may be the most tube sound perhaps followed by the ayre and modwright units.

I think the pass xa30.5 sounds like a better bet then the x150.5 if the rooms not to big and the speakers are efficient.

I like the chiro amp and probably prefer it over the jolida tubes but gaining a little of that midrange warmth of tube sound would be nice.

I'm sure there are others out there to put on the list???
Mtrot, keep us informed on the krell 400cx. Why did you choose the Krell over a pass labs amp?

I have been online all day and the pass labs xa30.5 could be a top choice. I may have put that over the x150.5.

The ayre v5 is loosing favorability when I always hear about the leanness issues.

hk fan I will check out the parasounds.
Mtrot, I have been solely a two channel music in a dedicated room for 6 years and is only recently I brought a good samsung 32 inch tv into the room. The last thing I wanted in my 2 channel was a big massive tv cause the focus is two channel music.

But, I now believe, perhaps that most high end two channel should have some kind of monitor in their room. Why, cause there are great blu ray concerts I now hear in high res high def going though a solid dac that accepts these high res formats(and why not hear and WATCH a concert in a high end two channel setup that so many invest in). I have quite a high end home theater setup, but now its out of commision and its only cause I dont care to hear it and like the two channel room thats been highly tweaked with acoustical treatments and such.

Point, I am beginning to like movies and concerts on two channel and not home theater!

With that being said, I understand why you went with the krell and will have to keep us informed on the results, but I think I would still go with an amp that renders music over movies. Perhaps, the pass would be more up my catagory??

A can of worms may have opened when talking two channel and a tv in the same room!