Help me replace my b&w 802d's

I bought 3 b&w 802d's last year as a birthday present to myself. Unfortunately, I have them placed along the long wall of my room, because of my display location. 2 803n's in the rears. Because of location I am sitting too close to the 802d in my opinion. Even with toe in and tilting the speakers forward a
bit.

I think I would be better served getting a good dub and 3 smaller front speakers, but i still want a very high end sound. Suggestions?
diw

Showing 1 response by blindjim

BTW why the 3rd 802D instead of their top or near top center ch speaker instead?

not sure about all the particulars here, but I'm suspecting your problem is one too many 802Ds.

Room size and seated position does matter about as much as does the amplification too.

It must be a large room and the display must be well up to clear the center 802.

I’ve seen other threads like this where someone was talked into buying uber speakers all around only to find out later it was severe over kill… and really not necessary. One person posted here saying they had bought 801s up front and 802s for rears. I forget the center ch type. They posted the 802s for sale a few months later as their dealer apparently said ‘No dice” for a return at that time.

I’d say have a look at the newly designed array for HT that Phase Technologies has developed. I think it’s called DART.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/trade-show-coverage/2005-cedia-expo/phase-technology-darts-speaker-system

http://www.stereophile.com/news/081505phase/

otherwise, I’d say get the BW top center speaker and a pr of 801s or 800s to replace the 802s…. unless you’re gonna be taking a big $$$ hit reselling…. Then again, I’d seek a tuned dedicated array, eg., DART or some other likewise outfit… and then have it setup and tuned professionally. Professionally, by tuning professionals… not sales people. Well designed and adjusted systems can cost less in the long run and perform more optimally than simply buying the more expensive items..

Whatever happens though I hope your final results exceed your expectations and turn out great. Good luck.