Help me pick from my sub-$1200 shortlist

Alright. Here's the shortlist. Let's get your opinions:

• KEF LS50
  • Sonus Faber Venere
  • Monitor Audio SIlver 100's (haven't tested yet)

And yes I know some of these retail over $1200, but for those I'm going to look for used or be patient for sales

I tested the SF's and the KEF's the other day. When at the store, I liked the KEF's better; I felt like there were more punchy mids, more contrasting dynamics. But having since listened I've been thinking more about the SF's and feeling like maybe I actually long term enjoyed their more subdued tone more, factoring in the fact that I would be able to play with them/my setup in my own apartment more. There was an incredible clarity with them nonetheless that I really loved.

I'm mostly doing vinyl and digital music, less classical/jazz, more rock, country, metal, experimental, but also quieter stuff too. Running out of a Cambridge Audio Azur 551R.

Other speakers I've had on the longer list, but might not be able to check out are the Revel Concerta2 M16, PSB Imagine B, and Paradigm Signature S2; so if you feel strongly on those please let me know

gravyrobbers91

Showing 5 responses by furiouslyadrift

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 (B stock). New for around $1200 shipped.

Seas woofer, RAAL tweeter, bamboo cabinet bookshelf size. Pairs are matched to within .5 db

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2/srm2.html
On the Kef LS50's... they can be very reactive with the amp. They hated my amps (NuPrime monoblocks). YMMV.

+1 for the Silverline Preludes... also exceptionally good speakers.

Another (weird) suggestion... Hsu Research. Their point source speakers are odd but fun. Just throwing that out there.
Just to throw more chaos into the mix (ha)... Vandersteen and Sonus have excellent resell value... if you tjink you want to play a bit.

Nothing like renting good gear ;-)
The Phil BMR have a more expansive sound than the Phil.

I didn't put it on the list because it's a bit over budget but they are great speakers.

Salk, Phil, Ascend, and Selah are all crazy good not just because they are a great buy. They hold their own with much more expensive speakers.