Help me decide on my next cartridge (

They say that rule #1 of owning a turntable is -

“Do not spend more on the cartridge than the table”.  So, we are talking about <$900.

That being said, this is my current setup:

• Parasound Halo Integrated amp
  • Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit DC turntable
  • Ortofon 2M Blue MM cartridge
  • Vandersteen 2Ce Signature II speakers
I like the 2M blue, but it’s getting up there in listening hours, and it’s the only cartridge that this turntable has had; so I don’t know what I’m missing by moving up.
I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

clipdin

Showing 4 responses by mijostyn

Clipdin, just get the 2M Black and make sure it is set up correctly. You will notice an improvement and there are painfully few moving magnet cartridges that can better it. Your turntable will handle it fine. 
Or the Moonbeam 4, But the Comet is a significant improvement if you can stretch for it. Down the line you can even trade it in for a higher model if you like. Great product, great company.
viridian, I think that is called cutting off your nose to spite your face. I would think that you could have enough fun playing around with tonearms and cartridges. 
The suspended SOTA turntable is one of less than a handful of turntables that are utterly bombproof under any reasonable condition you might encounter in the average home excluding 2 year old humans.
It so happens that the company has changed it's philosophy and is now selling motor and controller upgrade kits that people are welcome to install themselves. I understand they have found a lot of favor with the VPI crowd.