Help me decide: Grado Gold or AT440ML

I am about to change the needle in my Grado Gold cartridge (about $90) but I heard the AT440ML (about $90 for cartridge) might be a better tracking cartridge. I read someones comment that Grados and Shures do not tract so good on inner groves. I have an AR-XA turntable with at REGA RB300 arm. Which way should I go, buy a new needle for the Grado Gold or by a new AT440? Thanks.
128x128hifier

Showing 4 responses by johnnyb53

I haven't used either cartridge; I used a Grado Z2+ or similar many years ago and loved it; the Gold stylus is its recommended replacement.

However, here are 3 user reviews for the AT440ML.

And here's a thread about the AT440MLa on Steve Hoffman's website: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-80334.html

You are familiar with the Grado Gold; maybe the AT440ML reviews will help you decide which performance parameters are more important to you.
A new stylus includes all the moving parts of a moving magnet cartridge--stylus mounted to cantilever at the front end, suspension in the middle, magnets mounted at the other end of the cantilever, and the snap-in housing holding the whole thing together and aligned. The coils are permanently attached to the cartridge body interior.

So when you get a replacement stylus, you are actually getting the diamond stylus, the cantilever, the suspension, and the magnets. Getting a fresh suspension that comes with each replacement stylus should keep the cartridge fresh, although I suppose the coils might oxidize at some point, but I don’t know for a fact.

What is your buddy’s 30-year-old cartridge? I have had an AT150MLX for eight years and needed a replacement. AT was discontinuing the ATN150MLX stylus--gold-plated boron cantileverwith nude MicroLine stylus for the ATN150Sa--tapered aluminum cantilever with nude Shibata stylus. The few remaining boron/Microline stylii were taking on NOS prices; I got the Shibata version for $179.59 from Wal-Mart online, of all places. Snapped it into place and it sounds wonderful--sweet, smooth, and detailed without being distracting.
Speaking of the Sumiko Pearl, I have a Shelter 201 that uses the same cartridge body. I think the US import price is a bit high at $310, but I got one from a Japanese vendor on eBay for $166.97 shipped. At that price it's a total no-brainer. It's a marvelous cartridge, robust, full-bodied, rich, detailed where it counts, great tonal balance, and irresistably musically involving. Best part is that the replacement stylus--from an authorized US vendor--is only $100, so it's cheap to own, too.

WIth my all-tube phono preamp this thing has a ton of "jump factor" and a midrange that wraps you up like a warm comforter.

If he just *has* to stick to $100, then the two best candidates I know of are Wolf's Sumiko Pearl and the Ortofon 2M Red.
Stringreen: Do you know which 30-yr-old Audio Technica cartridge he has?

Also, Sevs: Concerning your buddy's $100 upper limit for a turntable: I got into audio in 1972, which is right in that "golden era of stereo." $100 today adjusted for inflation would have been $17.35 back then. Hell, even a Kenner Close'n'Play for little kids was $39.95 back then.

The Pro-Ject Carbon DC with included $99 Ortofon 2M Red cartridge is only $399. That's equivalent to $69.25 in 1972, a largely plastic Garrard piece of junk. The Carbon DC, on the other hand, is a very nice-sounding unit, probably a lot better than your buddy even imagines an LP could sound like.