Help me Buy an LP-12

I have had a Rega P3 w/ Elys for a couple years and Im bored to tears with its sound. Its nice and non offensive but does not excite me. It cant even begin to hang with my Meridian digital rig. So, I want an Lp-12. I dont really understand all of the upgrades and the different models. Does Sondek refer to the power supply or are all Lp-12's sondeks? What I need is an experienced LP-12 user who can help me put together a starter Lp-12 set( table, arm, power supply, cartridge etc.) That I can look for used. What are some quirks, or certain years, models I would want or to avoid etc. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
jpo55

Showing 1 response by superclamp040b

never quite understand all the fuss about the LP 12, I have listened so many time's to this table in various setups,and find it dissapointing every time. Then all the upgrade's.. now i can think of upgrading a CD player because of the rapidly development of IC's etc, but a well thought out and designed turntable doesn't need all those upgrades or it is designed not well. a good bearing is a good bearing period. I find the LP 12 equipped with the whole Cirkus,trampolin, and whatever more it takes to get it going finally, a very overpriced piece of gear when looked from a engineering point of view. I may recommend another WELL designed British design turntable, and thats the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace. this table doesnt need a cradle full of accompaneing equipment, and soundwise it's soo much better ! a turntable which uses only springs for coupling is a joke in itself, or you do it pneumatically or hydraulically,or no springs at all. Check out the Hyperspace, leave the bouncy bouncy 12.